Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was taking off my rear wheel (Left if sitting on the bike) and the bolt snapped off in the nut.

I took wheel off and replaced the lug bolt in the hub but I guess I didnt pull it through enough and it stripped inside the hub. Now I cannot tighten the last bolt as it just spins.

I have 3 perfecly good bolts and thread on the hub just trying to avoid buying a new hub.

Any suggestions ? Aluminum Hub + Steel bolt = No welding ?

Thanks in advance.

JP:hmmm:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd first try to peening the hole on the hub (that the lug stud presses into) with a ball peen hammer, or using a punch to stake the hole edges..... than attempt to press in the lug stud and hope you've rolled/pressed enough material into the hole for the stud to bite into!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Another thought..... if the above "PLAN A" method doesn't work, would be "PLAN B" = which would be to put a couple small tack welds on the stud knurl and than try to press it in..... than hope and pray the hub doesn't bust/crack.

Or if all else fails..... "PLAN C" = a new hub.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plan D ? Run with 3 lug bolts and nuts ?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
PLAN E = Socket Drive 3/8-24 Flat Head Machine Screw from back side of hub and factory nut on front? :dunno:

PLAN F = Trade the machine off for a new one! :D

PLAN G = Light it on fire.... claim insurance & buy a (Incert What Ever You Wish Here?)

·
Registered
192 Posts
How about using some alumiweld on the hub and clean out the splined part of the bolt. Try to reinsert the bolt and let cool.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
How about using some alumiweld on the hub and clean out the splined part of the bolt. Try to reinsert the bolt and let cool.
That looks like a great idea too! At that rate, I wonder about JB weld also.... :dunno:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I'd opt for plan G :firedevil::pfeif:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts