Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to replace my wheel studs today for longer ones to accomodate alloy wheels. The original studs didn't leave enough thread for the lug nuts to grab. I was worried about loosing the wheels while riding.

Anyway today I pulled a tire, hammered out the old studs and put the new studs in. I put the tire back on and tried to tighten the lugs down with an impact wrench, thinking that this would pull the new studs into the hub and seat them properly. It worked on 3 studs. The 4th one stripped the hub. The wheel stud just spins in the hub and won't tighten.

Anyone know of a fix short of getting a new hub? I was wondering about some JB Weld or putting a lock washer on the back of the wheel stud? Not sure if the JB weld will hold in the aluminum hub. Not sure if a lock washer will hold the stud in place or if it might throw the whole tire off balance resulting in ruining the bearing prematurely?

So now I am thinking I need to pull the other hubs all the way off in order to replace the rest of the wheel studs and seat them well with a hammer before trying to turn a lug nut on to them. Any easier ideas?

All help and opions welcome!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I would simply tack weld it in place...

CW

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I like CW's fix for the striped stud. I no longer use impact gun for tightening after stripping threads off the studs, only for removing the lug nuts!!! I now use a 1/2" drive ratchet, short ext. & a deep well 14mm socket. Worked great for getting the new studs in!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you both for the advice. I will try the socket for putting the studs in the rest of the wheels. The one I need to fix I may try JB Weld. While I am quite a handy guy, I don't weld nor do I have friends who do.

And CW, thanks for the info on where to get the studs. Thor didn't have them so I found them at SuperATV.com

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like CW's fix for the striped stud. I no longer use impact gun for tightening after stripping threads off the studs, only for removing the lug nuts!!! I now use a 1/2" drive ratchet, short ext. & a deep well 14mm socket. Worked great for getting the new studs in!!!!!!
SMP: Does this work to draw the stud all the way into the back of the hub?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just finished changing all the wheel studs. JB Welded the stripped one. Turns out my lugs where all cross threaded onto the old short studs and didn't want to go onto the new studs. Cleaned up all the threads with a tap and die set. This allowed me to finish tightening in all the other studs. I will wait until next week to torque the stud with the JB Weld on it.

On the front I did end up pulling all both hubs and seating the new studs with a hand sledge and brass punch while the hub was onthe vice. Didn't want to chance stripping any more.

Thanks for the advice. Another notch in my belt as a blossoming Polaris mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts