Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am learning more every day. 1997 Magnum 6x6, Father-In-Law put a new belt on it and parked it for the mice.
Clutch drags badly, even putting a silly amount of shims in the driven clutch, polished everything.
Now I realize that the belt, 3211077 which seems to be correct, is so wide that it is riding on the drive clutch sheaves and never gets close to the center of the shaft. Probably a half inch from touching the center shaft.

The center of the shaft in the drive clutch seems to be just smooth shaft, not a bearing or lubed bushing.

The drive clutch seems to work fine, I can run the RPM up and down and see it move through the whole range of travel, I pulled the cap off and the outer assembly slides pretty smoothly in and out.

Now what? I saw a Youtube video where they used a clutch holding fixture and special tools to pull the drive clutch apart.

Do I just want to pull the drive clutch and take it to the Polaris dealer along with the belt? Dragging the whole bike in my old International Harvester would cost like 10 gallons of gas and probably a roadside repair or two....

How to pull the clutch? I have read about a 6 inch by 3/4 inch bolt with fine threads and put some grease or water in the hole before screwing it in?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
If you cant shim the secondary in or out enough s belt rides in center of primary, then motor needs moved or has moved, chech your motor mounts in front of motor and see if they are broken or have moved,

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The belt should ride on the center of the primary and not touch the sides at idle, or at least be very close to touching the sides. 1/2" up the sheaves leads me to believe the primary isn't opening all the way. Cheapest option is to pop it off and take it to the dealer or a shop that can take it apart. The bolt and grease trick works, or tip it on the side and use water in the hole and Teflon tape the bolt. Lot easier to clean up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts