Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Polaris m1400 gas powered. it cranks but has a hard time starting. I’ve checked fuel assembly, it’s getting fuel. Checked the spark, it’s sparking, oil is good, fuel has been cleaned out and is good. Takes me about 30 -45 minutes before it finally turns over. I plug up jumper cables to get my Rpm high so it will crank over and start. I don’t know what else to change or fix on it. I was thinking the injector ?? I took it off and poured fuel in to bypass injector and still won’t start right up. Sprayed starter fluid in it and still won’t start right up. I seem to have to crank and crank on it:(. Not good!!
once I get it running it runs all day. Sits overnight and have to start process over again!!
HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
I don't know what an m1400 is, but hard starting (especially if spinning the engine faster makes it start better) is usually related to tight valves - when is the last time the valve clearance was checked?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what an m1400 is, but hard starting (especially if spinning the engine faster makes it start better) is usually related to tight valves - when is the last time the valve clearance was checked?
not sure what that is- but I’ll look into it. When I pump the pedal it seems to help start it

·
10,326 Posts
Yep, sounds like it needs the valves adjusted
From what I could find its a 325cc Prostar latebird

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the valve adjustment something I can tackle- or do I need to take it to a shop?

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
After exhaustive investigation, I have determined that thing is a 2016 L16U2NAGFA/MA (apparently not manufactured in 2017) - it was originally conceived as an electric vehicle (GEM/LEV) thus model L year 16 - the VIN will put all speculation to rest.

I obtained the part number for the piston and the piston was used in the following models:

It is a 325 engine

The valves have to be adjusted with shims and the cams have to be removed to make the adjustment

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't find anything on it at all

@Tina0803, do you have the VIN?

And yes, you will probably need to take it to a shop.

im gonna get the vin. Can’t take it in due to this covid stuff. Shops aren’t open here ??‍♀

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
GOT IT!
Now we at least know it a 2015 model M1400

Model Name - MY15-POLARIS, M1400
Model Year - 2015
Model Number - L15U2NAGFA
Purchase Date - 9/17/2015
VIN - 000U2NAG3F3005235
Engine Serial Number - 0120498300147
Factory Configuration
Carrier
Flatbed with Bed Sides
Batteries
Flooded Electrolyte Battery
Crate
Upfit-none
Box Lift
Manual Box Lift
Compliance
Standard M1400 Compliance
Factory Warranty
Start Date - 9/19/2015
Expiration Date - 9/17/2017
Extended Service Contract (ESC)
POLARIS PROTECTION-48 MONTH-TOTAL-GEM-US-N
Start Date - 9/17/2015
Expiration Date - 9/17/2019

I still think it probably needs the valves adjusted - have you contacted a dealer or independent repair shop about doing it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dropped it off this morning- told them all I did to it as well as the valve adjustment... and of course HE still had to go through EVERYTHING to determine HIMSELF if that’s it.... I’ll know in a day or two I guess -

was trying to avoid dealing with them. ... we shall see

1 - 15 of 15 Posts