Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I live in Botswana in Africa and good help on a polaris is far far away. I recently bought my wife an '06 Trailblazer 250. The bike runs pretty good but we seem to have an intermittent fault where the transmission doesnt seem to shift and sounds like it is over revving an max's out at around 25-30mph.

The transmission and belt cover on the left side gets real hot when this happens.

The bike has been sitting with the previous owner not riding it for at least 2 years. SHould i drain and replace the ATF?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Welcome from the other side of the Atlantic.

The clutching and tranny systems on these machines are CVTs, so they do not shift like a car would. So I do doubt that the fluid is the problem, although it should be changed anyway.

The belt is made from rubber. And it's possible the belt has become harder ofer the few years of just sitting there. If the belt did get harder, or glazed as it's called, it would like be slipping constantly on the clutch sheaves because its not as pliable. The would reduce your top speed and generate a ton of heat.

Either way, I would start by pulling the clutch cover off and inspecting the belt and both clutches.

ATF is not the right nor best fluid to put in the tranny. What kind of fluid options are available in Africa. I suppose it would be okay in a pinch, but I would use it if other fluid options are available. A light weight gear oil would be better. Polaris AGL would be best. But I'm not sure what you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I wish i understood the CVT more as i think it would iron out some issues.

I will pop the cover off and inspect the belt but i have no idea how to tackle the clutches. I suppose it would be possibe for the hardened belt to slip as the bike heats up when riding - hence the fault being intermittent. Is that possible?

I can get Polaris AGL from neighbouring South Africa but it is a bit of a mission.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
No prob. I'll link a great article to read about the cluthes.

Here it is -->> http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-performance-modifications/20841-cvt-clutching-101-a.html

When you get the cover off, check to see if the sides of the belt are hard and very smooth. Also check to see if any part of the belt is skinnier the the rest.

For the cluthes, start with just looking for any grooves or indentations in the face of the cluthes.

Is a place that sales amsoil close by? I think they have a chaincase oil that should be suitable for awhile. I haven't used, but have heard people who do have good results.

I apologize I am unfamiliar with what Africa has to offer. Western culture doesn't want to learn or teach much about Africa other then the plains. So Africa is a mysterious place I would love to explore one day for myself. So I'm not trying to be a naive westerner, but that's how I feel not know what is available to you over there.

You can always post pictures of your clutch system here to see if any of use can spot any abnormalities that may be causing issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is an Amsoil distributor in SOuth Africa which is only 400km away so i can organise through him.
Thanks for the assistance. will let you know once i have had a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts