Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I got my 550 stuck in some deep mud. I ride solo and this is my first time being stuck and I don't have a winch yet. I do carry a come-a-long in my cargo bag which eventually got me out. Does someone know of an anchor that can be utilized if trees are not in range of my come-a-long. My come-a-long is only about 15ft long. The trees that were close enough to me were in the wrong direction. Luckily I also carry a small handsaw and was able to wedge a dead tree in between some other trees that were out of reach. I checked out something called a pull pal but for that cost I can buy a winch. There has to be something out there that I can buy for reasonable money or a home made remedy. I am eventually going to buy a winch as soon as I pay off my quad which is roughly one more year until then I will continue to carry my come-a-long. Let me know if anyone has something in mind.

·
Registered
93 Posts
About the cheapest portable anchor I know of is a picket anchor system. You can make it out of some rebar if you really want to do it on the cheap. Just do a google search for picket anchor system and you will find all kinds of info on them.

An alternative would be to buy the longest tow strap you can find at harbor freight and use that to extend the reach of your come along.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Google 'winch anchor' and several will come up, similar to pull pal. Most seem to be about $150. I found this one on Amazon for $130.
Amazon.com: Off Road Recovery Ground Anchor: Discount Ramps: Automotive

But if you're going to buy one of those for $100+ you might as well just buy a Badlands Winch for the same cost. 3500 lb. Electric ATV/UTV Winch with Automatic Load-Holding Brake

I realize that having a winch is useless if you don't have an anchor point... that being said, almost everyone on here has a winch, and very few of us carry an anchor. Spend your $100 on the winch. And this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't wait a year until you pay off the quad. Having the winch is going to be much more valuable then having one less quad payment, as you may have realized this weekend.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Carry a few $10 tow straps that are about 20' long. You can hook them end to end. Or you can get a 50' or 100' synthetic winch type cable extension with eye hooks on both ends. But in the end, a winch is the fastest, easiest and most cost effective way to get unstuck IMO.

Replacement Winch Cable

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Polman500, 99% of the time I avoid them, this one caught me by surprise as it was in an area I had not been to yet and I did not realize how swampy it was. I will avoid the mud at all costs next time.

·
11,265 Posts
Yeah, I was just ribbing you a little relco. :D I have on occasion fallen into a few bottomless pits I thought were just puddles too.
As for an anchor, you could just get 50 ft. of good heavy rope to carry with you or maybe a 2 ft. piece of rebar and a 3 lbs. hammer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use something called a dead man. It's an rv tie down you screw into the ground. Even worked when I bottomed out my 4x4 f250. Although it takes a long time and then you have to take it out. So ifYou get stuck in a spot where you need to come along it more than once it would be a real pain in the butt

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree on the harbor freight winch. That and the kfi mount together will only run about $150 and is a great winch for the price. But to each his own.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sometimes harbor freight has dirt cheap tow straps. Can get as many as you feel needed. I use d rings on everything. There usually a. Couple bucks at a good farm and feed store.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Got a truck stuck in the desert once......ended up digging a four foot hole and burying the spare tire. Sucked, but it worked.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
an anchor that will work in all but the softest ground is three 18"-24" sections of 1/2" (or larger) rebar. put the first two in forming an X with only 3"-6" sticking out of the ground and the center of the X as close to ground level as possible. Then drive the third stake into the ground behind the other to straight up and down. attach to that. To remove just hit the rebar side to side a couple times and they should pull out pretty easily.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts