Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a rubber stop on my winch, but danged if it didn't get wedged in between the fairleads when I (obviously) raised the snow blade too high. I've tried unlocking the whatchamacallit on the side, but it doesn't seem to want to turn. I've read that I could tie the winch rope to a tree and hit reverse, but without unlocking the aforementioned whatchmacallit, probably not a good idea. Any others? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You'll have to tug it and turn the clutch on the side at the same time since the clutch will "lock" under pressure. I'd try a prybar through the hook and pull/push out slightly, just enough to release the clutch, then, when you're absolutely sure the clutch is out, you can strap a tree or a car and try the reverse pull. Go slow the first time, might not need all that much force. Had to do this same thing when my synthetic sleeve got clamped down under the rope and locked up the whole winch.

·
10,309 Posts
Forget about the whatchamacallit. Just power it out a little till it gets some slack in the cable and then tie it to something to jerk it loose?

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
that's what I said in the other duplicate post. put weight on the top of the plow blade and reverse the winch creating slack then pull the rest out by hand in free spool or power it out while pulling on the line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had this happen to a friend as well. We cut off the rubber stop with a dremel and that caused enough slack that we were able to move the switch on the winch to freespool.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't use the winch rope at all when I plowed. I have a cargo strap with a "d" ring on the end. I cut off a piece, about 4-5 ft long, and replaced the line on my winch with it. I take a locking link to connect it to the plow and that's how I did it. It works perfectly, doesn't wear on the fairlead, and when you don't need to plow anymore, put the winch cable/rope back on....simple.....the pic is the type of strap I use....the one I was using on my plow had 3 seasons on it before I moved to florida and didn't look like it had been used at all. Only thing it did to my fairlead was polish it. No wear grooves or anything...

·
Registered
7 Posts
ditto, I used a 2" tow strap with a hook and cut off about 5' and used that for my snow plow. From 1 ten foot tow strap I get 2 snow plow straps. Will last many years, hardly showed any wear and doing this spared my synthetic winch rope.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
this is the way to go!!! or buy a "plow" strap!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts