Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready for riding this fall, and have discovered a stumbling issue. When first started (70 degrees), I give it a little or no choke and let it idle for a minute or so. Then I drive off, cycling the choke once or twice to get moving then pushing the choke in (off).

Once warmed up, the fans cycle on and off. If I am using it around the yard to move trailers, especially in reverse, it wants to bog down and die when I give it gas. The last time this happened I had forgotten to push the yellow button in reverse. To get around this stumble, I blip the throttle (full throttle) to get moving, then it smooths out.

My theory is that hitting the limiter in reverse fouls the plug, and I have to get moving again to clear it. The reverse limiter only works sometimes, so I don't always push the button. Is this a common issue, or do I need to look further.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
No, they don't all do this. Mine (2) rarely need any choke (unless it's below 50F) to start and they never stumble or complain. My thought is that you have a lean condition that's causing you to need more choke, and the fact that the fan cycles when warmed up tends to add some credibility to this as a lean running engine runs hotter. I'd do a carb rebuild, especially if the machine sits for extended periods or at least run some cleaner through it (Sea Foam, or another of the major players). - MarkC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have run several ounces of Berryman B-12 through it. I was leaning towards going through the carb. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It always helps if you specify what machine you have and whether it's EFI or carb. Since it's got a choke I'll go out on a limb and go with carb. :)

I agree...run a tank's worth of Sea Foam through it and maybe clean your butterfly with carb cleaner.

And check the idle RPM. My 2011 500 HO was doing the same thing when warmed up. It would idle OK but when I tried to put it in gear (F or R) it would die. It was idling just below 1000 RPM. I checked the specs and it was supposed to be 1200 +/- 100! Adjusted the idle and voila!...fixed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What AKStew said. My idle kept readjusting itself and I had the same symptoms. A little LocTite at the idle adjustment screw took care of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
what machine are you driving and how many miles?your throttle cable might need adjusting,do you have free play on the throttle lever?but it also sounds like a lean condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts