Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07' Sportman 500 EFI. Turn the key and it zings. Doesn't catch anything. Headlights are bright and do not dim when trying the starter (assuming batt. is OK). Try the pull start and it just pulls out and recoils back. Yes the rope is dirty for the most part. No compression when pulling. Was in Wisconsin on the last hoo rah in the Fall with a lot of rain and deep puddles. Washed er down good after and parked it for about two months. The freeze came in and here I sit broken hearted watching the ice form. Is there any way to drain the starter and recoil area without taking the entire thing apart? I have it in the garage on heat and it starts electrically and by hand. Gets cold and same thing over again. Can't afford to take it in right now. Victim of the economy since early this year.
Regards,
MN Matt

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
hey,

there is a drain plug on the bottom of the outside case of the recoil housing. not sure what size socket or wrench you need but there is a drain plug and crush washer there. pobably have to look on the inside of the foot well to get to it. hope that helps. let me know if you need anything else like a parts fiche picture or something else

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blueline, thank you.
Serious motor rookie here. Love em and what they do, just didn't grew up with anyone that new their way around an engine.
Anyway, after 5 hours of heating it up in the garage, I got dirty, pried some plastic, busted a nuckle, and reached the drain plug. Carefully removed it, not sure if some important fluid would come flowing out, and drained approximately a 1/4 cup of H2O after removing the top screw.
Blew it out with some compressed air, (which did provide some more water spray out of
it) sprayed a couple of shots of WD40 in the top and buttoned it up.
I'm going to let it freeze back up tonight and see what happens tomorrow.
Any other precautions I should (or should have) taken?
MN Matt

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
no worries about being a noob, cant expect everyone to know everything. these machines are not as simple as everyone wants to think they are. dont worry 3 years ago i knew nothing about these machines. just try to learn all that you can! and i will try to help

no, there should be no fluid behind that drain plug so anything that comes out of there is good. just try to get it as dried out in there as you can. all water and no oil came out? there is a crank seal and if that goes bad you will get engine oil in there, which isnt good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, just water came out. Wanted to keep it on heat as long as poss to make sure all the ice melted inside there. Should be ok. It started up this am, but it sounded like the solenoid was sticking a bit longer. Tried it again, and it started normal.
I did learn a lot from my father in law when we took the 94 Explorer apart, but he lives in Ohio. Thanks for the heads up on fiche secrets! They help quite a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts