Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, today I got stuck real bad in mud and water, both exhaust pipes submerged. After 1 hour I got out but engine runs really poor, even after 2 hours of rest. Any ideeas are really appreciated. Thank you.

08 Sportsman 800

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
How does the air filter look?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Oh and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does the air filter look?
That's a good ideea. I'll check that tonight. I do get RPM but the machine just barely moves! The transmission seems fine, it shifts properly even after forcing the quad real bad to get out.
Is it normal for that little wrench symbol(service light?) to flash at startup for 30 seconds? This has nothing to do with the previous problem, it was doing this before yesterday.
Thank you for replying!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would start by draining ever possible thing on the atv. air filter, clutch cover, front, rear and tranny oils, engine oil. I'd even go as far as taking the exhaust apart and making sure it's not full of mud or water. Water in any oil is a bad deal, you're gonna want to make sure you change it right away, run it for a while, and then change it again. As for the wrench...it will always come on right after you start the machine, if it stays on for a while it means you need to service. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't have much time tonight, but I changed the air filter and still the same.
I took out the oil dipstick real quick and saw bubbles (is that normal?).
My buddy says it coud be the tranny since I get RPM. Another motorcycle guy said it could be the headgasket. Oh well, I guess I'll take everything apart tomorrow and find out who was the better guesser. Hopefully I'll remember how to put it back toghether.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last night I cleaned the spark plugs, changed the oil and filter, air filter and took it for a spin. Everything seems to work just like the day I bought it. Perfect. The only problem was that I was testing it on my street at 11:30pm. Sorry neighbours, part 2 tonight, but not that late.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, what is that red hex/flat plug on the bottom of that big black plastic enclosure for the belt? ( left as you ride). I took it out and it's a lot of mud in there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That plug would be a water drain for your clutching system. If you got mud in there i would take the cover off and do some more cleaning. Before you got big problems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts