Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend completely submerged his Sportsman 500 HO over the weekend. Must have been watching too many youtube videos. The quad was running when it went under. Just curious if the engine is toast or if this thing is savageable?

BRR

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
A friend of a friend.....
It's completely okay to admit it was actually yourself..... :rofl: :D

Seriously though, it may not be toast if it was shut down in time and not restarted afterwards, before it has had a chance to be completely serviced front to back, top to bottom a couple times, to make sure no water remains in any system. But also keep in mind, that time isn't on your side here! There are a couple of "what to do if machine gets submerged or sucks in water" type threads on the forum.

Good Luck!

Edit: Forum Link for Submerged Quad: http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-atv-how-tos/34737-full-bike-submersion.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would admit it if I did it, LOL, wouldn't be the first! Really is a friend of a friend, my friend asked me to post here and get some feedback. I know this he did not shut it down, the water did. Don't know if he tried to restart, will find out.

BRR

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
There might be some damage if water got in the cylinder before she shut off...could have a bent rod.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd hope/guess it sucked in water into the air intake and stalled, before the cylinder filled up and bent a rod. But that would be a concern if it sat in the water little while until it was pulled out. So, DO NOT try to start it before it's drained and serviced a time or two!!! As water could have back fed through the tail pipe.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've done this to my 2007 sportsman 500 efi twice. Each time we were miles from base camp. Both times we stood it up on the rear end to drain water from tail pipe. Then pulled the spark plug and turn motor over till no water came out of it. While plug was drying in the sun we drained the belt housing and checked for water in the oil( first time there was none. Second time it looked ok but after a few hours of riding the oil was milky). We drained and wiped out the air box. After plug was dry we put it back in and she started right up. I left it run for 15mins then off we went riding like nothing happened. First time it was sunk was in 2007 second time was in 2011. after we got home each time I changed the oil and filter and it was good to go. The first time it happened I thought I had just killed my machine after only riding it for 3mos and it had less then 500mis on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ive done this atleast 12 time on my 700 about 9 time on my magnum 500
and twice on my 800
if its efi not much u can do if it locked the motor up remove spark plugs shoot the water out change oil and oil filter probably did alot of damage

if its carborated u might be in luck if he drained the bowl on carborater before he try to recracnk it. do same thing remove spark plugs shoot water out change oil and oil filter

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Like others have stated, its all about the series of events that happened after the atv was submerged. If it didn't bend a rod, then he just needs to go through and do all the proper maintenance. There are plenty of threads on here where I have posted the proper procedures for a drowned out ATV.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Doing the same to an 850 yesterday. Hoping it turns out ok. Owner let it sit 3 days after going in water 3' above the bars. Drained oil and about 4-5 quarts of clear water came out before it turned to milky oil. Week know later today.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Pulled clutch cover, primary clutch spider has unscrewed it's self. Motor only turns over about half way. Definitely got hydro locked and will need to be opened up to see what's wrong. Definite metal on metal thud when it stops. All the electronics are wigged out. Starter and solenoid won't even click over. Hoping he's got insurance because it's going to get expensive fast.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Let me know if he's gonna scrap it....

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Ohhh, that guy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sunk my Ranger when it crashed through the ice. Drained the oil five times and changed the filter three times. Drained the trannys 3 times. Tried to get water out of gas tank but never could get it empty. It would almost start. Took it to dealer and they removed the gas tank and flush fuel line etc. Been running good since. Now I avoid water over the floor boards. lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'll bet he wishes he had given Flo a call now....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts