Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new here. Just bought a 2001 Polaris magnum 325 today to add to our 4 wheeler collection. Well I wanna change all fluids before I ride it. All the info I've seen it's all weird fluids I've never heard of. Angle gear fluid ect ect lol i live in BFE we dont have no Paris dealer anywhere within a hundred miles. Is there any other kinds of fluids i can use? I figured out 80w for the diffs but not sure what to use on the transmission and I also seen some where there is hub oil? I plan on buying a manual and getting fluids on line but would like to get fresh fluid in for now. ALSO I hear noises alot of people are saying Polaris has loud scary noises but it's normal? It just sounds clunky or slappy idk weird huh? Lol it's in great shape I just wanna be sure everything is right. Thank you all have agood thanks giving.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
You can order the oils on line, but in the engine use motor oil - Mobil 1, Rotella, Silkolene, whatever brand you choose is fine - 5w40 viscosity is preferred, but you can use 10w40 0w20, 15w50, 10w30 or whatever is available in you part of Egypt and while synthetic is specified, any oil is better than no oil - use synthetic if available. Transmission and hub oil can be replaced with ATF - use Type F or if not available Dexron - the final drives are not Hypoid and do not require 80w - a motorcycle JASO rated motor oil will work in the drives - if the 80w causes an undesirable characteristic, switch to 20w50 JASO motorcycle engine oil, otherwise 80w is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@latebird thank you for the reply just to confirm I use actual atf in the tranmission of my 01pokatis 325 magnum lol? I was think it would be some kind of synthetic gear lube or somthing. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
You're first post says you live in Egypt so why would we think otherwise??
How are we supposed to help you if you keep tell different stories?
Do you even own a Polaris atv? :unsure:
Actually he just referenced BFE, but I knew what he meant, so I spelled it out being facetious (Bum Effed Egypt)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Oh and BTW - if you want to use a synthetic gear lube, you can - all that's in the gear box is gears, a chain, transmission shafts, shift forks, engagement dogs, bearings and seals. Just motor oil would be fine, but in a transmission ATF is better than motor oil. After all, what is there in an automatic transmission? Gears, shafts, pumps, clutches, bearings and seals. See the similarity? But an AT has bevel cut gears while the Polaris transmission uses straight cut gears. An AT needs better lube than a manual transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your help. My wife wanted to drive to the big city for holiday shopping spree, so I'm just going to stop by a dealer and let them rape me lmao maybe they'll use their high dollar 'special lube' so it wont hurt so bad. Hahahahahaha

·
8,879 Posts
LOL... Its really not too bad considering the relatively small amounts used and the infrequency of changes to know you have the correct fluid... Now the woman in the big city on Black Friday might very well get expensive! :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts