Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ford F150 eco boost with tow package and two atvs. A 2013 polaris sportsman 850 xp and a 2013 cam-am outlander xt.My truck has a cap so i am thinking bumper pull. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
282 Posts
My advise would be to decide what else you may use the trailer for, open or enclosed, and if you would at any time be pulling more than 2 quads. F-150 ecoboost will do a reasonably good job for you so power is not a problem. Myself, I went to an enclosed after many open trailers and I like the idea that the machine is contained and out of sight when parked. I also use it as a storeage place at times and everything is high and dry and out of sight . Good luck. I am sure you will get lots of comments.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I haul my stuff around on a Triton aluminum 12'x7', and for what I use it for and what I tow with (2012 Explorer) it works great. It tracks like a dream and rides really sweet and quiet, you almost forget you're towing it. If I had a larger Tow vehicle, I'd probably go with an enclosed for the reasons mentioned above. A buddy of mine has one that you can sleep in, it's really slick. Not exactly a camper as he did the inside himself, but still pretty nice when you're roughin it!

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
I assume you are talking about a camper, not just a trailer to haul your atv's on. There are several bumper pull types out there, but the thing you need to pay attention to is the tongue weight since you have a 1/2 ton truck. Mine has an 1,100 lb tongue weight. Not 1/2 ton friendly. With two full size atv's, you need to be able to fit them in nose to tail. Your salesman will swear up and down that you can fit two in side by side to try to make the sale. Make him let you try it before you buy it so you don't get burned. Or have him show you how easy it is to turn one of your 800+ lb atv's sideways to fit them in that way. Take your tape measure along when you go shopping. Done a lot of shopping/looking and have heard all the lame sales pitches. Just be sure everything fits before signing the bottom line.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I assume you are talking about a camper, not just a trailer to haul your atv's on. There are several bumper pull types out there, but the thing you need to pay attention to is the tongue weight since you have a 1/2 ton truck. Mine has an 1,100 lb tongue weight. Not 1/2 ton friendly. With two full size atv's, you need to be able to fit them in nose to tail. Your salesman will swear up and down that you can fit two in side by side to try to make the sale. Make him let you try it before you buy it so you don't get burned. Or have him show you how easy it is to turn one of your 800+ lb atv's sideways to fit them in that way. Take your tape measure along when you go shopping. Done a lot of shopping/looking and have heard all the lame sales pitches. Just be sure everything fits before signing the bottom line.
I have turned my 850 sideways on my extra wide 16' open utiliy trailer with side rails...I am 6ft tall and pretty dang stocky, and I can tell you I don't know if I could do it inside of the garage part of a toy hauler.

Like Bob said, if you are looking at a camper type, try it before you buy it.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
almost all toy haulers big enough to carry your two quads will likely overload the truck. Payload capacity is 1/2 ton trucks achilles heal (forget about the claimed towing capacity...towing a camper, with a heavy tongue weight and it acting like a 30 ft wind sail, makes for tough towing with a 1/2 ton. Check your door jam for the payload capacity of YOUR truck (dont go off what the website says). You will see a sticker saying all cargo and passengers should never exceed xxxxlbs..then look for your GVWR. Load up the truck with fuel and whatever you would normally take with you camping and go to a CAT scale and see how much it weighs..you might be shocked (I was). Subtract that from your GVWR and whatever is leftover is your remaining payload capacity....

Most all toy haulers have a much heavier tongue/pin weight than a comparable camper (to offset the weight that will be in the garage). I recently ran into these issues with my 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie...I was shocked at what the truck weighed with the family in it and my resulting tiny payload....I am going to trade it in (4 months old) on a 3500 diesel laramie.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As others have said payload capacity for tongue weight will be the problem not towing power.

there are toy hauler rvs out there that you can use with your truck. the forest river wolf pack ones are fairly light and have floor plans to hold 2 atvs. also the smallest forest river work and play would work well. check out the palomino puma unleashed ones too. Not a whole lot to choose from in a toy hauler with a half ton but there are some out there.

If you want the big tricked out mansion on wheels you need to get a bigger truck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a Puma Unleashed 26' toy hauler that I pull with my Chevy 1500 with the 6.2L V-8. Tongue weight is supposed to be 1,000 and empty trailer is supposed to be 7,000 according to factory decals on the trailer. Pulls fine and will easily fit two full size ATVs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts