Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a customers 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 (4x4) and he wants all his fluid lubricants changed out in preparation for the upcoming hunting season. I have the Manual, and of course, it lists all Polaris branded stuff. I suspect that those of you doing your own maintenance don't use those, but stuff more readily available (and probably less expensive) at the automotive parts stores.

Amsoil seems to be a favorite here, but I've never bothered to look up a local dealer/distributor. Quite frankly, their “dealer network” reminds me a Amway. There's bound to be other suitable lubes out there that are more easy to acquire.

Brake fluid and grease are a no-brainers, but what about lubricants for the transmission, front gear case, etc?

Manual sez:
Transmission – AGL gearcase lubricant PN 2873602
Front gearcase – Polaris Demand Drive Hub Fluid, PN 2871654

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guy

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I would stick with the Polaris Demand drive for the front. Is it a 2004.5 with the central hilliard, or 2004 with fluid in the hubs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would stick with the Polaris Demand drive for the front. Is it a 2004.5 with the central hilliard, or 2004 with fluid in the hubs?
Best I can tell from the Manual and by looking at the machine, it has the centralized Hilliard and the hubs are lubricated via Zerk fittings.

We have, or had, a couple of Polaris dealers in the area, so will check to see if they are still around and have Demand fluid in stock.

Admittedly, the customer will be paying for whatever I use in his machine, but I try to save all of them money, if I can, by using a comparable product that costs a little less. Even if I can find discounted parts/consumables, I never mark stuff up. I just pass along what I paid to them. I've been told I'm stoopid for doing that, but to me, this is just a retirement hobby and I am not out to make a killing. Also keeps me off the street on my bikes and outta trouble. :veryhappy:

Appreciate the quick response, and recommendation.

Guy

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
No worries Guy. I know the Amsoil chaincase lubricant is recommended for the diff/trans, but wonder what other option exist also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries Guy. I know the Amsoil chaincase lubricant is recommended for the diff/trans, but wonder what other option exist also.
I'll run over to the closest dealer I have found, and see what they've got. I "knew" them back when they still handled Kawasaki products and went by a different name, so have no idea the "quality" of their offerings now. We shall see.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am working on a customers 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 (4x4) and he wants all his fluid lubricants changed out in preparation for the upcoming hunting season. I have the Manual, and of course, it lists all Polaris branded stuff. I suspect that those of you doing your own maintenance don't use those, but stuff more readily available (and probably less expensive) at the automotive parts stores.

Amsoil seems to be a favorite here, but I've never bothered to look up a local dealer/distributor. Quite frankly, their “dealer network” reminds me a Amway. There's bound to be other suitable lubes out there that are more easy to acquire.

Brake fluid and grease are a no-brainers, but what about lubricants for the transmission, front gear case, etc?

Manual sez:

Guy
Why not become an AMSOIL Dealer (see link) or if you have a storefront, a retail account and you can make $ selling it to your customers? Contact me me and I will set it up if you qualify (have a storefront basically).
Fyi - AMSOIL has a regional distribution center right on your doorstep!

Become an AMSOIL Dealer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Manual sez:

Guy
Why not become an AMSOIL Dealer (see link) or if you have a storefront, a retail account and you can make $ selling it to your customers? Contact me me and I will set it up if you qualify (have a storefront basically).
Fyi - AMSOIL has a regional distribution center right on your doorstep!

Become an AMSOIL Dealer
There are reasons for my not doing that at present, and will PM you about same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts