Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you're ever in doubt, floor it until you're out. An atv may die out in deep water and when it does even with snorkles (unless you have mufler snorked too ;) it will allow water to straight into the motor from the exhaust. So stay on the throttle, you said the front was up and the seat was up, if necessary dunno how much you weigh but get off and floor it so the front will be floating and your intake will be ok. Never let it idle in deep stuff.

Mine will float with me on it :) well at least the front will, the rear racks usually go under and the front comes up until half the front tire is out of the water and it floats.
Mine doesn't float at all. I'm not sure if it would even under full throttle. The only reason I stopped giving it the gas was that it was the more gas I gave it the more it was sinking into the sand. I did hop off of it but it wasn't going anywhere and that's when I reached for the winch line and it stalled. I'm sure I was sucking water into the engine from the exhaust while it was stalled. I didn't stand it up on end when I was cranking it with the plugs out and I'm sure

Does your ATV actually float? We tried to see if my buddy's Honda foreman would float and had one of us on each wheel and it would've sank if we didn't hold on to it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Which dealer did you use to try and get it running again?
I took it to Maxey's. They've been pretty good to me and were able to get me in right away when every other dealer in and around OKC was a month away from being able to get my ATV in to be seen.

The latest update as of right now is; the starter was replaced, I believe I messed that up trying to crank it when it hydro-locked. It was cranking fine and then just started to spin and wouldn't catch. After the starter was replaced they were able to crank the engine over but it wouldn't start. At least the major engine components seem to be in one piece. When they were trying to figure out why it wouldn't start they discovered water got into the intake and throttle control plate. The water caused some corrosion in the throttle plate and clutch and they had to be replaced. Not sure exactly what components were replaced should find out tomorrow. As of right now it's looking like over $2500 of damage. Hopefully they will have everything done by the end of the month when I get back from vacation.

I'll get the total repair cost and damages when it's all said and done. :ponder:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Finally got my 850 X2 Back! :rockwoot:

Here's the damage... $1430 in parts and $1160 in labor for a $2590 total :boggled:

The initial damage was the starter. So in the time it took to get the starter in, the water in the intake and rest of the engine caused some corrosion in the throttle body and clutch. Which was also replaced.

The repair shop flushed the entire system and performed a complete service to include all the fluids, fuel, spark plugs and belt.

They also changed out the following parts:

Starter
oil filter
4x PS4 oil
2x Gear case oil
Demand Drive plus fluid
2x Spark plugs
Angle drive fluid
Throttle control position sensor
Intake throttle body
Drive clutches
Belt

and a couple other small seals and washers.

When they finally got the starter in (2 weeks after the incident) everything cranked but it wouldn't run. They found water in the fuel and the throttle was seized. After the throttle valve cover plate was removed they found water had entered the throttle plate area and corroded some throttle linkage. They also discovered the primary clutch was dragging and the ATV was creeping in gear due to corrosion on the primary clutch so they replaced the clutch.

I guess it could've been a lot worse. No major engine components were damaged but the Cimarron river water (salty) caused some major damage. I washed the ATV like crazy but there was no way to get the water out of the engine short of taking the whole thing apart. Water in the crank case could be removed with multiple oil changes but the the intake and throttle would've had to have been taken apart. It's a good thing they found the damage now because if I ever got it started and running and never took it in, I'm sure I would've had some big problems later on. Nice to get everything taken care of at one time and while I was on vacation.

My X2 runs like it was new and I'm glad to get a clean bill of health but I'll still need to run it hard before I call it done. The repair shop recommended doing another oil change and fluid check after 10 more hours of run time.

This was a lot of damage caused by a totally preventable incident. I'm just glad I had insurance and was able to get the ATV repaired and not totaled.

Now just got to get out and ride!!! :rockwoot:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Absolutely not. I was really worried at first because I didn't know if it would be covered. I'm not sure of all the different situations of what is and what isn't covered, so I would definitely check with your own insurance company to find out the specifics for your own situation.

After I explained what happened to mine they said not a problem. I actually only talked to the insurance adjuster once and everything else was worked through the repair shop.

I sure am glad I had insurance. A $250 deductible is a lot better than $2500...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Something I thought was pretty interesting. The repair shop provided me with a complete work order and repair history and it also came with "Controller Information" I guess this was from the onboard computer.

It listed all the engine settings and also the Temperature and RPM history in percentage and hours, minutes, and seconds at different temps and RPMs. I guess that's one way of telling how you ride your ATV.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My friend sank his 660 grizzly about 2 years ago. He was riding on someone elses land and the asshole took a backho and dug out the mudhole. he hit it going about 25mph average and flew over the handle bars. The fourwheeler nosedived and killed itself out. The back of it was floating. he swam to it and lifted the front and it floated about level. It wouldn't run so he let it sit for 2 years. When i got my new polaris we got it out and tinkered with it. Repair cost, 20 bucks and about 10 hours of TLC. The 20 bucks was for 2 cans of seafoam, the carb was took apart, vatted and cleaned. All home job. Walla, fixed

edit: forgot cost of oil changes, filters and air filters. so probably closer to 50-60$ all in all. We did notice the plug is missing on the bottom of his airbox, which we can't say for sure was missing before or after the accident. If it was before it would explain why the fourwheeler died out. When it was pulled from the mudhole by a friends suzuki i think 400 racing machine it was pouring water out from everywhere. It was literally waterlogged. The zook blowed its motor the next day. It was dark and his exhaust got so hot it was glowing, dunno why he was hammering it down but yep, he blowed it up the very next day.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very sorry to hear that.

I bought a 2012 Sportsman 850 EFI Limited Edition. It got swamped with 2.7 hours on it.

The insurance company was really helpful though. I claimed it on insurance, and they replaced the whole engine. $5300 worth of damage on the first day. I was very disappointed and upset the whole thing happened. The dealership tried putting a new wiring harness on the ticket, and the insurance company denied it. I talked with the insurance company and they said they would replace it if I noticed any electrical problems in the future.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Or maybe even a couple. :'(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Does your ATV actually float? We tried to see if my buddy's Honda foreman would float and had one of us on each wheel and it would've sank if we didn't hold on to it.
Yup :cowboy: Its a bit scary the first couple of times because you think its not gonna float. It floats almost at the sink point, the rear end sinks and the front end comes up, just like i said. If you tip it over and don't balance you're still screwed.

Heres a guy without snorkels (he decided he needed a radio more) floating his polaris.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Very sorry to hear that.

I bought a 2012 Sportsman 850 EFI Limited Edition. It got swamped with 2.7 hours on it.

The insurance company was really helpful though. I claimed it on insurance, and they replaced the whole engine. $5300 worth of damage on the first day. I was very disappointed and upset the whole thing happened. The dealership tried putting a new wiring harness on the ticket, and the insurance company denied it. I talked with the insurance company and they said they would replace it if I noticed any electrical problems in the future.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Or maybe even a couple. :'(

I feel for you! I know that feeling of losing one of your toys on the first day. I used to ride sport bikes and got T boned by a limousine who ran a stop sign first day I had it with 67 miles on it. Totaled the bike and broke my collar bone but walked away from it. Sickening feeling indeed!

I'm glad I was able to get this ATV repaired especially since they aren't offering an X2 in an 850 for the last 2 years and my new 2011 was a heck of a find. At least I can reset all the maintenance on it to include the belt and changing the fluids since I got a total tuneup and flush.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yup :cowboy: Its a bit scary the first couple of times because you think its not gonna float. It floats almost at the sink point, the rear end sinks and the front end comes up, just like i said. If you tip it over and don't balance you're still screwed.

Heres a guy without snorkels (he decided he needed a radio more) floating his polaris.

I can't believe that guy didn't suck water in his ATV, even after stalling it the first time. I didn't have mine that deep when mine sucked in water.

I think it would float but just under the intake. Not gutsy enough to try it on my newly repaired ATV but gladly try it on someone elses first.:nutkick:

·
Registered
274 Posts

This guy mentioned in his post on this video, the engine had no harm done to it, i sure see a lot of white smoke.

·
Registered
45 Posts
last spring I put mine in a roaring river about 20 feet deep. It was in the water for 31 days before the water went down so that it was safe to go in and get it. The day I got it out, within an hour drained all fluids out and filled cylinder with oil and left for remainder of day since it was late. Next morning put oil back in crankcase and turned over with a new battery and got oil out of cylinder. Replaced air filters, fuel and antifreeze and installed new plug and cleaned carb. Cranked over and at same time shooting fluid film into carb and got it fired up. Did this till it would run on its own. Shut off and changed oil in first 10 min then fired up and took for a little spin. In total changed oil about 5 times in engine, tranny and gear cases. Have put over 600 miles on it since then with no problems other then a few electrical problems. Used alot of sea-foam in gas and oil also which helps remove the moisture. Everyone kept telling me being in the water that long was going to hurt it but not so. Its when you get it out of the water and the air can get to it that is when your cylinder can rust and cause prob.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Our work dropped a honda outboard motor in the lake, it sat there for about 3 weeks, we then brought it back to our shop once it was recovered, from there we left it in the water for another 2 weeks before going through it, once it hits the air is when it really starts to rust but if kept wet till you rebuild it and oil it, you have a better chance of repairing it vs draining it and letting it sit till you have time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)

This guy mentioned in his post on this video, the engine had no harm done to it, i sure see a lot of white smoke.

The white smoke is probably from the water hitting the hot engine and exhaust. If there was water damage to the engine it would be major damage caused by hydro-locking the engine. Usually bent valves or rods.

I'm still amazed the ATV restarted and was actually running while under the water that deep without a snorkel. The intake appears to be below the water line.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looks like he may be running a speakerbox snorkel kit. I saw some from Triangle ATV. Pretty cool concept if you're gonna have a speakerbox anyway.

I'm more into quiet trail riding and can't stand when people play music so loud everyone in 5 counties can hear it. Especially if its rap. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Polaris make s a tough bike. I bought a 2010 crew 800($2000) that was sunk in saltwater for a week. Everything had saltwater in it. Drained it all, flushed it good, replaced wiring harness, primary clutch(saltwater ate it up), and couple more little things. Could not get it to run good untill I replaced fuel pump, then it was a beast. Rode it around for a year loaded down with 6-8 people sometimes hitting every mudhole I could find. I ennded up putting 31 laws, snorkeled it, rackzilla steering, lift, and clutch in it and rode it around for another year. Started smoking a little on start up so I sold it and got all my invested money back and more. That was a year ago and new owner is still giving it hell to this day. After seeing the mess I originally drained out of the motor, tranny, and diffs, I am a polaris man to the end.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I was at the dealer today in the service area and an older guy brought in his 4 month old 850XP with the crank sticking outside of the case.. Yep, he admitted that he sunk it.. So be-careful you 850XP owners.. A new motor is $3850 without any labor involved. OUCH!!
My buddy sank his 3 week old 850 last summer and it hydro locked. Dealer said 7k for the motor and who knows what else needed repair (bill could and in Canada most likely will be higher then the first estimate).

He did a few shuffles and went threw insurance...3 weeks later he got a new 850. Dealer and ins agent both said this is a 1 time deal..never again will we replace or even consider you driving an ATV in to a pond and then claiming it was an accident. So he got very lucky.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Luckily, most of the trails I will be riding have very few, if any water crossings. That's the joy of living in the mountains ;)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts