Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Superwinch Terra 35 today. I am using the Superwinch mount as well. This is going on my 2013 850 Touring by the way.

1st problem is reinstalling plastic covers. What I will call the fangs part strikes the bottom of the roller fairlead when trying to reinstall. The BLUE circles will highlight where it needs to align. Picture below will show the area that appears to need removed in RED. Does that part of the plastic have to be cut out?

If I remove that area in RED above then I can no longer install what I will call the grill. You will see in the below picture that the area which would be removed is where the grill rests against the fangs when installed. I used RED X's to show contact points.
I have seen topics on here before where people were able to still use the grill if they just cut away the center area for the fairlead to come through. How are they achieving this?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next question. My winch instructions say that the cable should come across the top of the drum. I either mounted my winch in backwards or this doesn't make sense. From what I can tell the winch should be inserted into the frame so that the engagement knob for the free spool action is on the left side or opposite of the throttle/shifter side. If I have the winch installed correctly, I would have to unspool the cable from how it arrived and re-spool it the opposite way. That can't be right?

The picture below will show in RED the direction the cable comes in and goes to the bottom of the drum. Should it go the direction I have questioned in BLUE?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Next question. My winch instructions say that the cable should come across the top of the drum. I either mounted my winch in backwards or this doesn't make sense. From what I can tell the winch should be inserted into the frame so that the engagement knob for the free spool action is on the left side or opposite of the throttle/shifter side. If I have the winch installed correctly, I would have to unspool the cable from how it arrived and re-spool it the opposite way. That can't be right?

The picture below will show in RED the direction the cable comes in and goes to the bottom of the drum. Should it go the direction I have questioned in BLUE?
Both the superwinches I bought said that as well. I ignored that. No issues winding/unwinding at all. Just put it in with the freespool knob on the RH side as you face the front. Like you have I believe.

As far as the rest of your issues. I can't help, as both my installs were not on XPs.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so I do have the winch inserted correct and the bottom feed to the drum is correct as well. The instructions that came with the mount say the opposite of what the winch instructions say. Thanks for the confusion Superwinch.

Now I just need to know about cutting that plastic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a superwinch terra 45 on my honda it was a good reliable winch my next one will be a superwinch

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I trimmed the fangs but skipped reinstalling the grill section. Try a Dremmel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It seems odd to me that Polaris would think to incorporate the winch mount tabs onto the frame there, yet not realize that the plastic fangs will have to be cut apart in that area for clearance OF THE WINCH! :suspect:

The task of trimming the plastic is easy, I just wonder how people have re-installed the grill. The two bolts at the top of the grill will hold it, but I would think the bottom would swing and hang loose inside the fangs. :nixweiss:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the 2011 Touring and the Superwinch Terra35SR and the mount.
No need to use a dremel or something like that.
The only issue was to use the Glacier2 plow mount together with the new Superwinch mount which was a bit tricky.
But a the end easy to install.
Only the cables - instead of what Superwinch was saying - were crossed to have the drum work in the right direction.
But maybe this was due to using the original cables of the former installed Polaris winch.
Ingo

·
Registered
47 Posts
The winch cable should wind down towards the mounting bolts. But if you mount the winch upside down then the cable will go up towards the mounting bolts. It's not good to wind the cable towards the top of winch spool.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe your winch mount is installed wrong. Mounting bolts on the winch are supposed to be strait up, so the winch will be upside down. Angled part on the mount points down. Just put one on tonight and it fits perfect. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe your winch mount is installed wrong. Mounting bolts on the winch are supposed to be strait up, so the winch will be upside down. Angled part on the mount points down. Just put one on tonight and it fits perfect. Hope this helps.
What winch, mount and ATV? It has to be something different from mine. Pretty sure mine is mounted to spec now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2012 850 xp, KFI mount, Badlands 3500 winch. I am going to try and post pictures. The angle on the mount allows the plastic "fang" piece to fit back in the factory location without cutting.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
joker04, you have a different mount and winch from me. That aside I noticed you don't have your fairlead installed in those photos. If I take my fairlead off then my fangs would fit without trimming also.
Please update me if your fairlead clears the fangs once its installed.
Thanks, ~Erik

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With my winch and mount installed per instructions this is how it sits.

With fangs as close as they will get. About an inch of material to remove.

If I flip the mount over this is how it sits. Notice the strong upward angle.

With the fangs on this way I only need to remove about a quarter inch of material.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I received my Superwinch Terra 35 today. I am using the Superwinch mount as well. This is going on my 2013 850 Touring by the way.

1st problem is reinstalling plastic covers. What I will call the fangs part strikes the bottom of the roller fairlead when trying to reinstall. The BLUE circles will highlight where it needs to align. Picture below will show the area that appears to need removed in RED. Does that part of the plastic have to be cut out?

If I remove that area in RED above then I can no longer install what I will call the grill. You will see in the below picture that the area which would be removed is where the grill rests against the fangs when installed. I used RED X's to show contact points.
I have seen topics on here before where people were able to still use the grill if they just cut away the center area for the fairlead to come through. How are they achieving this?

Yep, you'll have to trim that plastic at the bottom. I wouldn't have been able to use the "grille" insert piece with my mount anyway, so I wasn't worried about being able to put it back in. I used a jigsaw and removed the plastic in a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
450 Posts

I would keep it just like you have it in this pic. Mount/winch orientation, and the cable spooling direction. You want it to feed from the bottom of the spool. I don't know why Superwinch puts that in their directions. I haven't had any clearance issues with mine mounted like that. Just check around your cable to make sure it won't rub on anything. As long as your fairlead is mounted properly (which it appears to be) you shouldn't have any issues because the cable can only move within the confines of the fairlead.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you like the way it sits like this, then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It's up to you really. Once it's bolted in and wired up, it will work in any orientation. I just wouldn't get too hung up on being able to re-use that plastic grille insert piece. You won't notice it's gone from the driver's seat. :biglaugh:

Edited to add: It looks like the winch cable feeds from the top of the spool with the winch oriented in this direction. I prefer bottom feed just to have a slight lifting effect when winching in. It's up to you though. As I said, it'll work in any direction when you get it set like you want it. You can also swap your switch leads on the solenoid (not your battery leads, the small, low-amperage wires that come from the handlebar switch) if your in/out switch works backwards when you get it finished.

Edited to add (again): Your coolant reservoir looks a little low. ;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well crap! I guess I will hack out that area of plastic on the fangs. I was hoping for a very clean look. Without the grill its just a big hole in front for the winch fairlead.

JGcoastie, couple more questions for you. How important is it to run all my wire in wire loom? If my connection points are water tight and the cable isn't exposed to area's of abrasion can I save that expense or should I do it for sure?
Also, in your install thread you mentioned a couple electrical components that came with your Superwinch that you tossed and upgraded. How important is that and can you explain the parts usage and why you upgraded.
Thanks again, I'm an electrical novice.
~Erik

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well crap! I guess I will hack out that area of plastic on the fangs. I was hoping for a very clean look. Without the grill its just a big hole in front for the winch fairlead.

JGcoastie, couple more questions for you. How important is it to run all my wire in wire loom? If my connection points are water tight and the cable isn't exposed to area's of abrasion can I save that expense or should I do it for sure?
Also, in your install thread you mentioned a couple electrical components that came with your Superwinch that you tossed and upgraded. How important is that and can you explain the parts usage and why you upgraded.
Thanks again, I'm an electrical novice.
~Erik
Sure thing Erik!

I used the loom just to provide a level of protection for the wiring from any vibration-induced abrasion. It's probably an unnecessary level of protection, but it helps give your wiring a cleaner look, and helps protect against any debris nicking your wiring.

I completely bypassed the connections for the wired remote that came with the winch. I doubt I'll ever be winching when I'm not within easy reach of the handlebars, either sitting on the seat or walking next to the quad. The way to do this is to clip off the little round quick-disconnect guys on your handlebar switch wiring. So instead of the little do-dads pictured here, you'd remove the leads that look like this on the solenoid, and put terminal lugs on the ends of the wires coming from the in/out switch and connect them directly to the solenoid.
image.jpg

I got rid of this circuit breaker they shipped with the winch. It's just a poor design in my opinion, mainly because it has +12vdc (volts DC) exposed on the aluminum bars with no way to protect it from contacting the frame other than a bunch of electrical tape. Taping it is bad because those two breakers are thermal-activated. So if you tape them up completely, you've eliminated any way of them cooling quickly, so you'll "trip" the breakers more often, and it will take forever for them to cool off and reset.

I replaced the circuit breaker pictured above with this one from Blue Sea Systems. It's a sealed marine breaker, mainly used for anchor windlass winches on larger recreational boats. Really simple to install, the two connections are labeled "BATT" and "LOAD", so you just hook up the "BATT" side to the battery and the "LOAD" side to the appropriate terminal on the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
My wich came with the same breakers Coastie got with is..i did as he did ..got got a breaker like he has..a marine one....i used loom on my cables....its cheap at a auto parts store....if you decide to use the loom caseing..put the slit side down so any water can drain from it...if you have a harbor frieght close by..they have it

3/8" x 10 Ft. Protective Wire Wrap

if not a auto parts will have it....i may have even seen it at wal mart..not sure...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts