Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Been checking out the site for awhile and reading some really great posts. Lots of ideas, tips, tricks, hints, advice, cool pics of owner's rides, and more. So the GF and I decided to break down and buy a used 2010 Polaris Touring 850 EFI EPS earlier this summer. It's a really nice ride and had only 350 miles when we bought it. So we've been driving some trails in the Rocky Mtns and on our property all summer and fall. Just put some Camoplast snow tracks and went riding in the snow last weekend. The tracks are a blast! We've got big plans for our "little monster" and want to add a winch to it.

Curious to see if anyone has put a Superwinch Terra 45sr on a Polaris Touring? Will they fit? We have purchased a Superwinch Mounting Bracket 2202900 and are trying to find out if we can go with the Superwinch Terra 45sr or 35sr?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
~mark

I will include a pic of our Polaris from last weekend...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
You cannot go wrong with superwinch. If i had of known then what i know now, would of bought one instead of a warn. Their massive advertising budget is why their stuff is so pricey.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would think it would be a tight fit on the 45. The 35 should have plenty of power. Remember your also limited by the power of the small battery. I f you get stuck with them tracks your gonna need more then a winch!!!! Welcome aboard and sweet ride!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Will and Bruce!

The Superwinch Terra Series seems to get pretty good reviews and the price is in our budget for the power we want out of the winch. We are anxious to give it a shot a use it for winching the Polaris or doing some mitigation work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey Whoppinpeelies,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was hoping the extra power of the SW Terra 45 would help pull our Touring out if it gets stuck in the snow. But, the drain on the battery may be a concern?? and the Terra 45 might not fit. I haven't contacted Superwinch to see their thoughts.

Is it easy to drain the battery if you use the winch often?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like a trickle charger while parked in the garage?

What about drain on the battery if I use the winch a lot during the day?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wonderful. I will look into getting a battery tender. I have seen other people put lawn mowers and atvs on them in their garage.

You're right... certainly reving the motor will help power the winch. Just wondering if I use the winch often will it be a problem on my battery?

We try to get out for a ride at least a couple times a week and on the weekends. Now with the tracks we can get out in the snow, too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey plumber32,
Thanks for the recommendation. It's nice when our gear is reliable and works good out in the woods. Hoping the superwinch will be a good choice.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Where are you located at? I'm in Fort Collins myself and have a 2013 Touring 850. If you and the girlfriend are anywhere nearby we should ride together sometime.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Easystreet,
Thanks for the invitation. We have property near Laramie and ride there mostly. And, doing work out on the property takes most of our time. We bought the Touring to use with a DR Power Versa 1 ton logging trailer. We have some mitigation work of dead trees to cut down from beetle kill over the years. I want to mill my own lumber and beams and build a barn with it. Be a great place to store the vehicles and have a loft space on top. Anyways, that's not until next spring. I'll have to post a pic of our touring with the versa trailer.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts