Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

I recently bought a 2008 Scambler 500, wiring was a bit of a basket case and I've been fixing it all the past few days. Followed all the wires to the tee in the manual and where they all go.

Problems were as follows: upon first connecting the battery, bike will start, run fine, charge fine, fan comes on great, etc.

If I turn the key off, and back on again within ~15 secs, I can start the bike again fine. If I wait longer than ~15 seconds, it seems like the SurePower unit is going into some sort of protection mode, and if I try to turn the ignition on again after that 15 seconds, I get no neutral light, my Acewell dash comes on then goes off right away, and the bike will not start.

To reset it, I need to unplug the power from the SurePower unit and connect it again, then everything works fine.

I'm running with no big connector right now, just straight pins from the connector with heat shrink over them onto their mating pins on the unit (long story, the connector was hacked up).

Also took the SurePower unit apart last night and there was a small trace of water infiltration at the bottom...I cleaned the board with vinegar and washed with distilled water last night, waited for it to dry obviously...The board wasn't badly corroded to begin with.

This is a fault in the SurePower unit and I've read many other people have had similar issues. I've come up with a fix to bypass this issue (who knows how much longer it'll last, but the bike runs great now).

The fix

I ended up wiring in a 40A automotive relay in line with the battery power wire to the PDM, activated by the ignition switch. Now every time I turn the ignition off, power is cut off to the PDM, and turning it on re-energizes it, thus "resetting" it. I have no more errors so far and the bike will start every time even with the "faulty" PDM.

For anyone having the same problem with the PDM on their bikes, this is an easy fix, although you will need to cut and solder wires together, as well as a relay.

I also said fuck it to the connector since mine was broken, cleaned everything thoroughly, tinned all the wires and pins, and soldered the wires directly to the pins themselves, then filled the entire thing with epoxy/potting compound. Won't get better connections than this with any type of pin connection...

I have zero issues with doing this because the PDM is already fucked, so you can't fuck it anymore by doing this, and even if it does fail in a year, it was worth it compared to buying a new PDM and connector for $250+ CAD.

If anyone wants more info about how I wired in the relay let me know and I'll post more up here. If you have some basic electrical knowledge you can do this pretty easily yourself as well. Yeah it's not a Polaris "authorized fix" or whatever, but hey if you like throwing money and parts at something that otherwise works well, this is not the fix for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys

I recently bought a 2008 Scambler 500, wiring was a bit of a basket case and I've been fixing it all the past few days. Followed all the wires to the tee in the manual and where they all go.

Problems were as follows: upon first connecting the battery, bike will start, run fine, charge fine, fan comes on great, etc.

If I turn the key off, and back on again within ~15 secs, I can start the bike again fine. If I wait longer than ~15 seconds, it seems like the SurePower unit is going into some sort of protection mode, and if I try to turn the ignition on again after that 15 seconds, I get no neutral light, my Acewell dash comes on then goes off right away, and the bike will not start.

To reset it, I need to unplug the power from the SurePower unit and connect it again, then everything works fine.

I'm running with no big connector right now, just straight pins from the connector with heat shrink over them onto their mating pins on the unit (long story, the connector was hacked up).

Also took the SurePower unit apart last night and there was a small trace of water infiltration at the bottom...I cleaned the board with vinegar and washed with distilled water last night, waited for it to dry obviously...The board wasn't badly corroded to begin with.

This is a fault in the SurePower unit and I've read many other people have had similar issues. I've come up with a fix to bypass this issue (who knows how much longer it'll last, but the bike runs great now).

The fix

I ended up wiring in a 40A automotive relay in line with the battery power wire to the PDM, activated by the ignition switch. Now every time I turn the ignition off, power is cut off to the PDM, and turning it on re-energizes it, thus "resetting" it. I have no more errors so far and the bike will start every time even with the "faulty" PDM.

For anyone having the same problem with the PDM on their bikes, this is an easy fix, although you will need to cut and solder wires together, as well as a relay.

I also said fuck it to the connector since mine was broken, cleaned everything thoroughly, tinned all the wires and pins, and soldered the wires directly to the pins themselves, then filled the entire thing with epoxy/potting compound. Won't get better connections than this with any type of pin connection...

I have zero issues with doing this because the PDM is already fucked, so you can't fuck it anymore by doing this, and even if it does fail in a year, it was worth it compared to buying a new PDM and connector for $250+ CAD.

If anyone wants more info about how I wired in the relay let me know and I'll post more up here. If you have some basic electrical knowledge you can do this pretty easily yourself as well. Yeah it's not a Polaris "authorized fix" or whatever, but hey if you like throwing money and parts at something that otherwise works well, this is not the fix for you.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I had a 2005 500HO several years ago. One day in the middle of nowhere, it would not restart after shutting down. Everything appeared dead. In my troubleshooting, I did disconnect the connector to the PDM to check for any obvious issues. Upon reconnecting and keying up, everything was fine. Every time I shut down for more than 10 or 15 minutes, it would not come back to life. Every time I disconnected then reconnected, everything came back just like in your case. Closer inspection of the PDM showed water intrusion with corrosion on the board. I didn't bother trying to fix it and simply replaced it as it was covered under a recall.

Interesting fix. I hope it lasts.

Mark

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I would like a more detail to bypass the pdm please. Sincerely wemr13
Basically you install a relay (automotive 4 pin type).

Pins 85/86 are the coil on the relay. One of them you put to ground, the other one to power from the key switch output.
Pins 30/87 are the power pins. I ran one wire from the battery directly to one of the pins, and the other pin I ran to pin "M" on the PCM. Here is a diagram.

I had a 2005 500HO several years ago. One day in the middle of nowhere, it would not restart after shutting down. Everything appeared dead. In my troubleshooting, I did disconnect the connector to the PDM to check for any obvious issues. Upon reconnecting and keying up, everything was fine. Every time I shut down for more than 10 or 15 minutes, it would not come back to life. Every time I disconnected then reconnected, everything came back just like in your case. Closer inspection of the PDM showed water intrusion with corrosion on the board. I didn't bother trying to fix it and simply replaced it as it was covered under a recall.

Interesting fix. I hope it lasts.

Mark
Still working 3 years later. No problems with the machine. The only weird thing is that if the fan is running, turning the key off (which essentially kills power to the PCM "battery positive" pin) does nothing, and the bike will still keep running. If you turn it off with the red kill switch on the left side handlebar control, it turns off just fine. I just ran it like that (and still do). Some weird backfeed from the alternator pins keep the bike running when the fan is on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts