Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would start this thread about those Who has their plastic melt or hole burnt on their rear part of the seat. Just wanted to see which color has the most plastic burnt.

Mine is 2012 Sportsman 850 XP HO EFI EPS. Color: Orange Madness.

Burnt plastic and hole in rear seat with heat shield only on pipe and not on plastic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392162828.677699.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392162842.639037.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ill check my 850 Touring tonight. not sure if it even supposed to have any, but i will update. i will probably look into adding it if it isn't there. anyone who has the part numbers care to post them up, please?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Not to derail,.....but this is a XP850 only deal, correct?
No reports of XP550 melts?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Sportys don't seem to suffer from plastic fires, I think?

So far my two sporty 500s don't seem to suffer from this BUT I've learned from reading these type of posts (there is another one going on now) to 1) carry a small extinguisher on quad, 2) check your quad out for any missing/loose/inadequate insulation and maybe 3) add some to existing or in new locations. Anyone use exhaust pipe wrap? Is it messing when going to mud/water? last long? thanks!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Since day one my '11 850 Pearl White always got hot down around the black side panel. So while I had it stripped down last month, I header wrapped both tubes and then the collector all the way back to the muffler; then put the stock shielding back in place. I did that to keep the temps down in that area and because it was starting to metal the plastic of the black side panel (already melted off the aluminum stuff on on it), and because there is a single melted plastic line under the seat where at some point that are touched the exhaust...who knows when. Mine NEVER had the shielding under the seat! I will say, its hard for someone to go over the bike for "missing shielding" when you never knew it was suppose to be there and haven't seen it on any other bikes during your crossings. I only found out I was missing it cause some guy posted pics of his shielding in another thread and then even said it was an '11 to boot...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My Touring Does Not Have The Shielding, However My Friends Touring Le Did. Wonder If The Automotive Paint Machines It Over The MoldEd Plastic machines

·
Registered
553 Posts
No problem so far on my 09 camo 850.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
So i was going through the PurePolaris Parts site. Seems the EPS models dont have the heat sheild, and some of the Non eps ones do (except 13 & 14, looks like every one up 850 has them). its odd. and i dont see any offering for a touring at all.

My '13 Blue Fire Touring

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put aluminum tape on the inside wheel well (behind exhaust) to reflect the heat away from the plastic. So far no issues.

·
Registered
454 Posts
No heat shield on my '12 850 Touring and no melting that I could see. Since it isn't an LE it has non-painted plastic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
melted a hole same as first post but cought it before it damaged the seat too much. seems the heat sheild wasnt doing its job and seperating at seam so I used high heat muffler tape and a 2" wide hose clamp.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Our 2013 black 850le has an insulated reflective stick on stuff on the fender. It's about 1/8" thick

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
melted a hole same as first post but cought it before it damaged the seat too much. seems the heat sheild wasnt doing its job and seperating at seam so I used high heat muffler tape and a 2" wide hose clamp.

Can you take pic of what it looks like with hose clamp on it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
my 2011 850 has melted the black plastic a bit down by my right foot so I put header wrap on the pipe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts