Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I have a 2017 Sportsman EPS with 1200 miles... I'm in need of some repairs after a 200 mile trip in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. I'm going to do upgrades while I have it on blocks. I'm currently riding stock except for a Super ATV 2" lift. Here gos...

Suspension:

I have a bad right rear shock from what I've read is due to the heat coming from the muffler that breaks down the oil. So for replacement, what is recommended? I've looked at Bronco as I'm trying to keep it cost friendly. Any feedback on Bronco gas shock/spring for replacement? Should I go ahead and get front at the same time? Any other recommendations on brand?

Axles:

I have the notorious right rear clicking when turning right at low speed. After reading, it sounds like it's the CV. Figure I'll upgrade the axels along with CV. Looking at a few brands; East Lake, Sixty, etc. Again, don't need the most extreme option, but want durability for a good price. And, should I go ahead and change front as well while I'm at it? Drive shafts too?

Tires:

I'd like to go up a size or two in tires from the 25 stock. But considering everything above, what axle/suspension combo should I consider to have a solid setup with out damage due to poor geometry?

So, in a nutshell. If you were replacing wheels, tires, shocks and axles on a 2017 570, what would you do with out breaking the bank?

I have two more ATV trips this year, Pennsylvania and Tennessee, so I don't want any issues on the trails as they are pretty rugged terrain.

Thanks in advance for guidance!

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
Elka shocks, rhino axles, and bighorn 2.0 tires.

What makes you think the right rear shock is bad??

Reactions: Gmartino100

·
Registered
320 Posts
No need to change drive shafts. Definitely change front and back axles. If your running a lift you’ve already increased the angles without bigger heavier tires. Once you put those on you‘re sure to blow axles. Don’t mess around with low/mid grade axles. I don’t think you need to go all the way to Gorillas or Turners but you should get the Rhinos, Demon HD or Highlifter HD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elka shocks, rhino axles, and bighorn 2.0 tires.

What makes you think the right rear shock is bad??
When I pulled off the rear shocks and removed the springs, the left compresses and returns, the right compresses and stays compressed. Plus the cap on the right comes off and there's oil on the top. Wouldn't those indicators conclude it's done?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need to change drive shafts. Definitely change front and back axles. If your running a lift you’ve already increased the angles without bigger heavier tires. Once you put those on you‘re sure to blow axles. Don’t mess around with low/mid grade axles. I don’t think you need to go all the way to Gorillas or Turners but you should get the Rhinos, Demon HD or Highlifter HD.
Great advice. Thank you! What about shocks? Any feedback on Bronco?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I can’t give any experienced advice on shocks. I’ve heard good things about Elka but that’s it.
With the lift kit I have and the potential of going up in tire size, does the axle length need to change from OEM or is it just by upgrading to heavier axles solves the problem an can accommodate the lift?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Axle length remains the same up to 2” lift. But the angle the 2” lift puts on the axles causes the joints to fail. Couple in larger tires and the stock axles won’t last long, one or two trips. You can get away with stock axles with larger tires if you pay attention to how you ride, but the minute you get a lift the axles won’t last long. The upgraded axles will take care of everything and yes the length remains the same with tour set up.

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
If the shocks leaking then it's bad. But not having rebound isn't an indicator it's bad.

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
Looking at the Elka's. Are Stage 1 suffice for trail riding and the Rhino axles?
Absolutely stage 1s good for the trail, plus they set them up for your weight and riding style. Rhino's are what I'm using for the trail. Also look into Walker Evans struts. I would ditch the oem front spring for EPI or Highlifter HDs.

Reactions: 1tommyking

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, step one... All new Rhinos... I'll report back. Yep... That's a shredded CV below.

As for the Elka shocks... There's a 35+ day wait just to be shipped since they are made to order. Yikes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts