Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: 2014 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 850 XP SHOCK / SPRING SETTINGS

Can anyone please list (as many) Pro's & Con's for Stiffest setting Vs. Softest settings for the factory shocks/springs.

(other than the obvious advantage of having a softer ride with the softer settings)

My main issue is i'd like to avoid bottoming out and I was curious if the suspension setting makes any difference. I am willing to sacrifice rider comfort for more clearance/less bottoming out since I ride over rocks and logs a lot.

I would think it doesn't make a difference because @ the softest setting, i would think it only gives up to the point where the stiffest setting is......Is that correct? Or would the stiffer setting actually help with bottoming out?

What other reason might there be to make a stiffer setting and give up ride quality? Does a stiffer setting help prevent sag? (I might think it helps worsen sag because it is creating so much constant tension on the spring)

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED, HAPPY NEW YEAR

·
Registered
326 Posts
RE: 2014 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 850 XP SHOCK / SPRING SETTINGS

Can anyone please list (as many) Pro's & Con's for Stiffest setting Vs. Softest settings for the factory shocks/springs.

(other than the obvious advantage of having a softer ride with the softer settings)

My main issue is i'd like to avoid bottoming out and I was curious if the suspension setting makes any difference. I am willing to sacrifice rider comfort for more clearance/less bottoming out since I ride over rocks and logs a lot.

I would think it doesn't make a difference because @ the softest setting, i would think it only gives up to the point where the stiffest setting is......Is that correct? Or would the stiffer setting actually help with bottoming out?

What other reason might there be to make a stiffer setting and give up ride quality? Does a stiffer setting help prevent sag? (I might think it helps worsen sag because it is creating so much constant tension on the spring)

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED, HAPPY NEW YEAR

I am guessing your at the softest setting? I have mine at the softest . It does bottom out like at small jumps or stuff. I have noticed that the front is the one bottoms out only.

If you dont want to bottom out, you can go stiffer i would start by giving it to the 3rd setting and see how you like it and it if you go stiffer it will help with sag.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
So you think going in the middle setting (3rd setting) on all 4 wheels will really help avoid bottoming out? I guess I will try it
What is your weight?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The only way to know is make some changes and ride it and adjust from there. Increasing preload only changes the initial force required to move the shock. It is physically impossible to increase spring rate, or compression by increasing preload. Don't be afraid to make adjustments to the front and back and ride it and adjust as necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was scraping rocks and stuff with the frame when I first got my quad, I maxed out the suspension stiffness, rode the same trails and never scraped on those same places.

Stiffening up the suspension all the way will give you the advertised ground clearance. It's not much of an increase, maybe an inch, if that. But it was just enough to keep me from scraping a rocks in a few spots on the trails I normally ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One thing I noticed right away was it handled way different when I maxed my front shocks.

One thing to consider....
The stiffer you make the springs the more you force the tires into the role of "springs".
If you are pushing the preload way up your tires will be working harder and that can make handling twitchy and downright dangerous.
I'm a BIG guy and my 850 runs one notch down from max.
Just try it out safely when you make changes so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts