Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just wanted to pass along that a 27x11x14 Interco Swamp Lite will fit on the rear of an '09 with no sway bar mods needed. One of the local dealers told me a 11" wide tire would rub. After my measurements I decided to order a set & try it. I got an entire set (9" front & 11s for the rear) for 321 & some change sent to my door. While on the lift I was abit concerned, as I only had about 3/16 clearance, but once the quad was on the ground I have close to 3/4 & when I'm on it closer to 7/8.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If your bushings\wheel bearings get a bit sloppy you are going to probably rub a bit on hard turns.

Look at them periodically as kind of a warning when it's time to work on the suspension.

My 28 Zillas did, before I re-did the bushings. Now just fine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was considering the mud lites but the fronts are 27"x10"s & the rear are 27" x12"s. Would they probably rub then without spacers??? Would these be better than the reptiles if they would fit?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was considering the mud lites but the fronts are 27"x10"s & the rear are 27" x12"s. Would they probably rub then without spacers??? Would these be better than the reptiles if they would fit?
Thanks!!
I looked at that option as well because I like the mud lites and I think would have worked with very little room to spare (my measuring tape said it would). As previously mentioned as long as you are keep your bearings in good shape no worries. But I got told by so many experts that it wouldn't work I chickened out and bought offset wheels to make the change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally didnt go with the reptiles b/c they were slightly heavier, shorter tread, & 120 ish more for the set. Just speaking, 1" wider than my swamplite would only add 1/2" on each side so it would fit, but getting them on may be tricky b/c the quad would need to be in the air to do the swap. I had less than a 1/4" when it was suspended. I will say, my steering feels lighter with the swamp lites over my stock tires. I do not have the power steering & I always thought my quad steered heavier than my 750 brute force. As you can see, I've went almost 4 years in my stock tires so I'm not hard on my quad. I mainly use it for hunting & plowing my driveway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem! Not sure on the performance as i only have about a mile on them, but if I got 3.5 years on stockers I'm guessing it will be awhile before I need a new set!! In reference to my above post, I don't want others to be confused...the swamp lites are heavier (both physically & structurally), but the quad required much less effort to turn the bars stop to stop. If I think about it, I will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks!!
I looked at that option as well because I like the mud lites and I think would have worked with very little room to spare (my measuring tape said it would). As previously mentioned as long as you are keep your bearings in good shape no worries. But I got told by so many experts that it wouldn't work I chickened out and bought offset wheels to make the change.
Thanks for the input touring800efi! I won't waste my time trying to fit the mudlites on my bike as you are right, it looks like it might be to close for comfort with the 12" wide tire in the rear, very close to the sway bar link.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Does anyone have any experiences running the Interco Reptiles? They are a relatively inexpensive radial tire with a 1" lug depth. The rear skins weigh in at 34lbls, is that heavy for a ATV tire?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mudinmyblood.net forum has a really nice tire weight comparison chart I found useful. FWIW, the sti black diamond is a radial which was my second choice (think they were 1 1/8 deep). I wasn't set either way on radial or bias, just wanted good tread & better price!

·
Registered
593 Posts
A friend of mine put wider tires on his 09 and they rubbed, he took a heavy ratchet strap not the ones you use for holding down your ATV and put it around the ends of the sway bar and was able to bend it in just enough to clear the tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I've seen that on here ( bending the sway bar) but I wanted to stay away from modding suspension componets. Worse case scenario I would have went with another 26x10x14 before I started bending stuff to make it fit......just my .02.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I ordered a set of Reptiles but the rear skins are a bit heavy, the weigh in at 34lbs. How will this weight affect performance, fuel mileage?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not much on an 800. If you want to actually benchmark it, do a timed, measured run and (if possible) do a gps fix on your speed on your existing tires.

Then try to duplicate it in your new shoes. I'll bet a lot of people would be interested in your results.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't recall weights, but back in '05 I bought a new 750 brute force. I changed the tires shortly after purchasing it to mud lites. For what I did they were fine....side walls were a bit weak but overall not a bad tire. I installed a dyna tek ingintion programmer, jetted it, uni air filter, full muzzy exhaust, & New itp rims with kenda executioners. My quad was about identical in performance stock as it was with some nice "bolt on" mods & the executioners. When I swapped my stock rims/ tires on with the mods it was stupid fast. When I threw on the itps & executioners it noticeably slowed it down. But that's when I was all fuzzy about speed.... let's face it, if you want to go fast buy a dirt bike...kinda like my buddy with a Harley that has probably 3 -4 grand in the motor that thinks its fast - a bone stock rocket would smoke it & costs half. LOL

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just an FYI the STI Black Diamond XTR tires are DOT approved for limited highway use.

STI Tires Black Diamond XTR tires listed by size
I was thinking of getting my tire dude to get in a set of the Black Diamonds to look at as well. They have really good reviews but a few people said they don't seem to be true to size. One guy said his 27/11/12's were one inch narrower & shorter also. Is this accurate about their sizing?
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rio, yesterday you said you ordered the reptiles.....34 lbs or not if I were you I'd just use 'em. Most aftermarket tires are heavier than stock tires due to construction & in general most people put bigger tires on when its time for new rubber. Performance / fuel mileage wont probably change much aftermarket vs. aftermarket (if so its very minimal). My performance decrease on my 750 brute was between an executioner & my stock dunlops the b.f. came with.

Many times a heavier or more aggressive tire is just plain hard on your quad if you are beating on it ( this is where broken axles come in to the picture).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts