Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i sucked water in through the carb vent line on my sportsman. i drained the carb and the gas tank and pulled the spark plug and turned the motor over a few times and no water came out of the piston. i have changed my oil 6 times. i put oil in run it for 5 to 10 minutes at idle then drain it. it was milky the first 2 or 3 not it is mostly black but when it first comes out there is like whitish color bubbles in it. then after it sits for about 5 minutes it goes back to just looking like clean oil? do yall think i am good to go or do i need to keep going? Thanks! also my clutch intake never went under but should i pull my clutch cover off and clean my clutches.. would rather not have to do that because it is sealed with silicone but will do what i gotta do! Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so i sucked water in through the carb vent line on my sportsman. i drained the carb and the gas tank and pulled the spark plug and turned the motor over a few times and no water came out of the piston. i have changed my oil 6 times. i put oil in run it for 5 to 10 minutes at idle then drain it. it was milky the first 2 or 3 not it is mostly black but when it first comes out there is like whitish color bubbles in it. then after it sits for about 5 minutes it goes back to just looking like clean oil? do yall think i am good to go or do i need to keep going? Thanks! also my clutch intake never went under but should i pull my clutch cover off and clean my clutches.. would rather not have to do that because it is sealed with silicone but will do what i gotta do! Thanks!
This is the oil after it ran through my atv at idle for about 10 minutes then drained and sat in my garage for another 10. The dirt is from the oil pan not the oil. does it look like all water is out?

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am using 10w40 so its not as heavy as the polaris oil. i'm just using the 10w40 to flush. does your opinion still stand?

·
Registered
258 Posts
if u changed your oil 6times u gotta be good... that's way excessive! u must get oil way cheaper then the rest of us! a drop or 2 in there will just boil off anyhow! and there used to be a drain on the bottom of the clutch cover? it must still be there on the newer bikes?? and it used to be a rubber gasket not silicone?? either way if theres water in clutch case u will get slipping if its not slipping its prbly dry...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if u changed your oil 6times u gotta be good... that's way excessive! u must get oil way cheaper then the rest of us! a drop or 2 in there will just boil off anyhow! and there used to be a drain on the bottom of the clutch cover? it must still be there on the newer bikes?? and it used to be a rubber gasket not silicone?? either way if theres water in clutch case u will get slipping if its not slipping its prbly dry...
I just used cheap 10w 40 oil and only ran it for a few minutes at a time. and i know its dry in there but as far as dirt?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well did it one more time for safe measures and it came out just as milky as the first time. ive done 7 changes and its still just as milky as before

·
Registered
30 Posts
there are a couple of articles on here about how to go about getting the water out of your block... I don't remember what they used but just flushing out with oil will not get rid of the water. they used something that would basically collect the water and then when you drain it it would come out... I wouldn't run it that long either, you might do more damage.
just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS, BUT I have heard that kerosene will draw the water out of the bearing and stuff. Can't remember the details, but do a search on the web for it.
Also, try searching the forum for methods that others have used with success.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Milky appearance and small white bubbles are totally different. It would be hard to believe that you could still have that much water in the crank after 7 flushes.

How to recover a sunk bike. - MudInMyBlood Forums

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
On the forum the guy says put about a gallon of diesel fuel in the motor. does that mean poor it where the spark plug goes? also when i crank the motor over do i put the spark plug back in but leave the coil off? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Milky appearance and small white bubbles are totally different. It would be hard to believe that you could still have that much water in the crank after 7 flushes.

How to recover a sunk bike. - MudInMyBlood Forums

On the forum the guy says put about a gallon of diesel fuel in the motor. does that mean poor it where the spark plug goes? also when i crank the motor over do i put the spark plug back in but leave the coil off? Thanks!
Pour the diesel where the oil goes, in the oil tank. Leave the spark plug out. Also, drain the crank case each time you drain the oil. Remove the right running board, will make getting the crank plug out easier.
When I do my oil, you put a 14mm box end wrench up through hole in skid plate.

Makes life easier.

The crank drain plug is above, and to the left of the date stamp.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Lucas oil can also be used in the crankcase and it will break up water. Your oil looks good. It shouldn't take more than a couple of flushes of cheap oil to do the trick. Water and Oil do not mix so if the water is milky that typically means coolant in the oil as it will mix with oil to some extent. Water typically floats to the top of oil as it is less dense. Just the opposite with Gasoline which is less dense than water so the water will collect on the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
What Will said. Use the diesel instead of oil. His is not the only post I've read advocating for the use of diesel in this process.

A gallon is probably too much at one time since the machine only holds 2 quarts.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
867 Posts
Don't forget to change the filter it usually holds the extra bit of water to !

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need to run it longer, the residual water evaporates off and gets burnt off. Change the filter, filter membrane is paper so it holds the water.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agree with bgirard420, after 7oil changes you have to have all the water out, a few bubbles of water will just boil off.
well the last time i did it i let it run for about 15 minutes and did some slow driving around the yard and then drained it and it came out just as milkey as the first time i drained it? im at a loss. im only 15 so i cant keep buying oil. almost outta money. should i move on to diesel?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Agree with bgirard420, after 7oil changes you have to have all the water out, a few bubbles of water will just boil off.
well the last time i did it i let it run for about 15 minutes and did some slow driving around the yard and then drained it and it came out just as milkey as the first time i drained it? im at a loss. im only 15 so i cant keep buying oil. almost outta money. should i move on to diesel?
Go with diesel. You should only add 2L, since that is all it holds for oil.

Follow the directions posted above, pull the spark plug.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
392 Posts
There doesn't look to be anything wrong with your oil.

Just put the recommended weight oil in it and drive it. As was stated above you need to get the engine nice and hot. I would just recommend going on an all day drive or at least go out and have some fun. Then change your oil and filter after you've been out riding it. If there is any water left after that many oil changes it would surely burn off when the engine gets nice and hot after riding it for a while. Check the oil after a few rides and as long as it's black or clear and not milky like you can't see through it or grey then you should be fine. Good idea to check the oil before and after every ride just in case :beer:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts