Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading on the forum that most people use the POPO ps-4 oil or the mobil 1 0w-40 but the guy I bought my wheeler from said he has always ran mobil 1 5w-20, my question is can I switch over to what polaris reccommends or should I keep running the 5w-20.... It just seems to me that the 5w-20 isnt thick enough but I could be wrong, the bike has made it this far....

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I would use the recommended 0w-40. I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to stay with the mobil 1 since thats the brand thats always been ran through it and switch to 0w-40. I havent ever changed the oil in the bike or a polaris for that matter, is the drain plug an allen head flush mounted bolt on the very bottom of the crank case?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Contrary to all factory callings, Oil is oil. As long as it is the proper weight oil the motors don't know what is in it. Just the dealerships way to make more money off the consumers. I've researched this subject pretty heavily. The only real difference is in the synthetic's. Good for new machines, not so much for older ones.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I switch it over to 0w-40 will it harm my machine since the previous owner always ran 5w-20 mobil 1? If not I plan on using 0w-40 mobil 1 in every oil change from here on out. But the wheeler only had 125 hours on it when I got it so I figure it only had a hand full of oil changes..

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Another vote here for the 0w40. Go ahead and put that in there and then from now on.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
With those hours, no harm to machine, go ahead and change it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The Mobil 1 0-40 will work just fine. Change it over and go have FUN!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts