Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering why more people have not switched over to ATF in the front diffs. I have been using it in all my Polaris machines since the first day I bought a 4 wheel drive. Never had one minutes problem out of any of them and my current rides have 10000 miles on one and a little over 8000 on the other.

Ronnie

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I am going to give it a try come spring, Synthetic Dex VI, that way I have some on the shelf for the truck.

Trans/Diff - 5W20 syn, correct?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
i'd like to give it a try but have not heard much of it, i am running synthetic 5w30 oil in my transmission though.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
probably at around 3000km i would say, i change it in the spring and fall.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am going to give it a try come spring, Synthetic Dex VI, that way I have some on the shelf for the truck.

Trans/Diff - 5W20 syn, correct?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
The 2002 Magnum Polaris shop manual on page 7.9 states to use PPDD or Type F ATF in the front hubs. Since Type F is for pre mid/late 1970's Ford automatic transmissions requiring high friction modifiers I could see how most any ATF might work to make the electro-lock up feature work OK. If concerned one could just pick up a quart of Type F ATF to be on the safe side. Really could not see how a synthetic ATF could be of much added value unless the front hubs are getting up to 250F degrees. :)

Front and Rear gear case calls for GL5 80-90 per same Polaris shop manual on page 2.6.

Polaris does not offer a transmission grease cross reference that I can find in the shop manual but New Venture manual transmissions use Syncromesh??? found in some GM and Chrysler vehicles that seems more like 5W-30 Motor Oil and since I have some I may try that in the transmission since it is a proven light weight transmission lube and I have a bottle. :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The synchromesh fluid should work fine if you don't have a chain in the gearbox... I'm not sure about the Magnum... my Sportsman does so I'll stay away from that..

Chaincase lubes are an odd duck. They are lighter oils with anti-foaming additives more on par with ATF than gearcase lubes... but they have the smelly EP addpack like gear oil.

I've used Amsoil chaincase lube in my 92 Indy 440 for 13 years l. I have some on hand so I'll prolly use it in my Sportsman transmission for my fall change. The sled was done this spring.

The front diff is the only place I'll keep using the Polaris stuff. For now...

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The synchromesh fluid should work fine if you don't have a chain in the gearbox... I'm not sure about the Magnum... my Sportsman does so I'll stay away from that..

Chaincase lubes are an odd duck. They are lighter oils with anti-foaming additives more on par with ATF than gearcase lubes... but they have the smelly EP addpack like gear oil.

I've used Amsoil chaincase lube in my 92 Indy 440 for 13 years l. I have some on hand so I'll prolly use it in my Sportsman transmission for my fall change. The sled was done this spring.

Chaincase lube, eh? May try that, se if I can find it on ashelf.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That is what I have always used in my 700 and sleds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts