Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently broke my cable for my winch and was contemplating buying a new synthetic rope for a replacement. After doing some research I realize there is pros and cons for using it. I was just wondering if anyone else has their own opinions about their first hand use with the synthetic ropes. Also, where would be a good place to purchase one?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have synthetic on mine. A few of the cons I've noticed was that the rope stretches a little more than steel which is good sometimes, but not always. It can also snag on things unlike steel. Overall, I like it though and probably won't go back to steel. My rope came with the winch so I can't speak as to the best place to purchase the rope. Btw, you'll also need another type of roller fairlead.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You are correct in the fact that there are pros and cons to synthetic rope. but the pros i think out number the cons. if you break the rope you can simply tie it to get you out of the mud hole or what ever your stuck in. also its stonger then cable and it is safer as in it doesnt store energy and break as violenty as cable. you wont cut your hand on a frayed strand of wire. it also doesnt coil back up like a damn slinky when its spooled out. the cons it more $. you need a chain or some thing to tie off to the hook can potenialy cut the rope and like o9 sportsmen said you will need a new rollerfairlead if you used it for cable and its chewed up from the cable, it wears the rope if the rollers are like sand paper. amsteel blue makes synthetic rope for atv's.www.amsteelblue.com/ - hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That does help. Those are the pros I was thinking of. I think for the money and a little care of the rope it may be worth it in the long run. My first cable only lasted a year anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts