Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a synthetic rope on my winch and I think they are great. Last year I bought a shorter one that is thicker in diameter called my plow rope for plowing snow. The problem is that the rope is too thick to go in the hole on my winch. I cut it down length wise about an inch and tightly wrapped in with electical tape and was able to get it secured in the hole but it always keeps working its way out while I am plowing. Then with the snow and all and the short amount of rope cause the rope to slip on my winch and sometimes the plow doesn't go up. My most recent temporary fix is to spool it mainly on top of itself but that fix doesn't last long. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Go buy one of these 2" x 20 Ft. Tow Strap and replace the rope. All you have to do is cut it in half (now you have a spare) and use some duct tape to tape it too the spool and winch it in. Once it is wrapped around the spool friction keeps it in place. Instant plow strap! Got the idea off this forum and it works great.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Are you pulling it thru the hole and across the drum? I've never had mine pull thru the hole. I run it all the way across and an inch or so up the side then spool the rest in nice and tight. I'm also using a larger diameter rope so it's hard to get it thru that hole. Black tape and some WD-40 with a small screwdriver to push and then long needle nose pliers to pull it thru the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Tape the line before you cut it. Heat shrink works well too.

The strap Clinebo posted is what I'll be going to next year for plowing.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Are you pulling it thru the hole and across the drum? I've never had mine pull thru the hole. I run it all the way across and an inch or so up the side then spool the rest in nice and tight. I'm also using a larger diameter rope so it's hard to get it thru that hole. Black tape and some WD-40 with a small screwdriver to push and then long needle nose pliers to pull it thru the other side.

I do mine just like you have pictured and it never pulls out. I just tape the loose end across the drum and the wraps lock it down.

Honestly you are supposed to have at least 2 wraps on the drum as the minimum when your line is fully extended.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the same issue with mine. I cut off a 2 foot section of the smaller synthetic rope, attached it to the spool like I normally do, and then weave the 2 ropes together. I think that you can buy a weaving needle specifically for rope at hardware stores. So far I haven't had any issues with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts