Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I bought a KFI synthetic winch and it has a nylon cover on the first few feet of the cable. I assume this is to protect the rope from plow use. My problem is it keep creeping up the rope. I have to let some rope out and pull it back down all the time. Has anyone dealt with this or have a solution?
thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
That cover is to protect the rope from abrasion when winching over or close to rocks, trees, ect...
It should not be used when plowing it will bind and do more damage then good.
Trust me on this do yourself a favor buy a plow rope. They are short so it will not bind and prematurely wear like a 50 ft line will. It will only take a few minutes to change between the two ropes and will save you money over the long road.

Here are two examples:

WARN 68560 Synthetic Plow Lift Rope : Amazon.com : Automotive

Or

The photo is wrong but read the description.

10' ATV Charcoal AmSteel Blue 3/16 Winch Rope Snow plow : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
One of the members here also sells winch goodies. warriorco has great prices and ships fast. I used to buy the Warn plow rope, but now I use his.

ATV WINCH ROPES

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I was researching synthetic rope I saw a YouTube video on how to splice the rope. The one shows a guy using a semi thick piece of "thread" and a big needle to finish off the splice. He ran the thread through the rope a couple of times so the splice would not pull back through. See no reason why it would not work to hold cover as well. Mine has a cover on it, but it stays put. Seemed like a slick method to me, although I have not tried it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
You can secure the chaff quard 2 ways....I used a thick walled shrink tubing with adhesive inside it..put 2 inches on both ends....hit with a hair dryer or heat gun(low setting)..shrink it on...works great...or you can use the small wire ties...put on ends an 1 in middle...my buddies been using the wire ties and seem to worl good..the fairlead does not bother them...you may have to replace once during plow season....or even better use the wire tie an then use shrink tube over it....i got the thick walled at lowes...its used to seal well pump connections...it seals waterproof....not that it matters..lol..just a thick wall matters

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bought one from warrior unlimited. Reasonable price, quick shipping, looks like a quality product thanks Clinebo

·
Registered
450 Posts
Buddy of mine uses 550 Paracord for a "plow rope". Uses about 10 feet or so.

It makes sense to me... Why spend the money on a short piece of winch rope when 550 cord will pick up a plow? It's not like you're winching out of a hole with it, you're picking up a 50# blade.

As far as that chafe guard/protector goes, cut it off. You can grab a roll of heat shrink tubing that will do the same thing without sliding up and down.

http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Electronic/dp/B00GGSE7J0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1387832735&sr=8-7&keywords=heat+shrink+roll

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Bought one from warrior unlimited. Reasonable price, quick shipping, looks like a quality product thanks Clinebo
Your welcome.....happy plowing! : )

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Buddy of mine uses 550 Paracord for a "plow rope". Uses about 10 feet or so.

It makes sense to me... Why spend the money on a short piece of winch rope when 550 cord will pick up a plow? It's not like you're winching out of a hole with it, you're picking up a 50# blade.

As far as that chafe guard/protector goes, cut it off. You can grab a roll of heat shrink tubing that will do the same thing without sliding up and down.

Amazon.com: Car Truck Heat Shrink 20 FOOT FEET ROLL 3/16 Inch Tube Tubing Electronic: Car Electronics
I've never needed to use my chafe guard yet. But I have it in my rear bag just in case. It only takes a minute to pop the hook off the end and slide it on if needed.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hook it up to your truck (apply parking brake) or something else really solid. Make absolutely sure the winch is in free spool and slowly back down with your ATV. You should be able to un-bind it.

Most people use a short strap/cable/line, about 10ft or so, for plowing to prevent binding up using their main cable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have tried that can't get it to move at all . I'm gonna switch to a short plow cable as soon as I can get this freed up. I'm going to try again a bit later thank you

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do you have a strap you can hook up between the truck and the winch cable? You can get a bit of a rolling start and kind of snatch it (as much as I hate to suggest that)...

Just make sure you're anchored to something solid on the truck like the towing hitch (not the bumper).

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you unbolt the roller fairlead. And try to see where the binding is you may be able to get it loose enough to unspool. If not as a last resort start cutting.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
spray some amor all on the line...it will act as a lube an also a UV protectant....it may help free it....I spray mine to keep it UV protected an also helps lubes it when dragged across the fairlead...seen this on a sailing forum where they use it on the rigging lines....it works

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry it took so long. Had to cut the winch rope the sleeve bound it up. Replaced it with a 6' cable for the winter. Thank you for all the help. Also installed hd front springs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts