Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a steel winch cable in poor condition. I also have a bunch of 5/16 dyneema line in good condition from another application.

I have been able to slightly enlarge the hole in my spool/drum and fid the synthetic line through, but now.....how to tie it off? I've tried a knot, but that just creates a big bump and unsmooth spooling. Does anyone know a better way? I'm wondering about

1)turning a small knot by fidding the line through itself and turning the line inside out as is common in creating rope eye splices?

or, 2) Tapering the end and feeding the taper back back into the line and drawing the taper back into the hole?

I have marked the line so I never let it out the last 5-6 wraps. But surely there is a correct way to do this. I know I'm going to cut my line capacity from 50' down to about 30' but I like the idea of 12k line (even though with a couple snatch blocks I'll never get near those loads).

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
most people just tie a knot. Can you enlarge 1 side of the hole larger than the other so the knot slides into the larger side and out of the way of the line as it spools.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a really good idea but I'm afraid of drilling through to the center bore and maybe hurting the weatherproof or structural integrity of the spool? The spool does not look all that thick. I guess I could just try to whip the bitter end into something smaller than a knot?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts