Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, bought the Polaris 3500 winch with synthetic rope on it. The eye at the end does not have a metal thimble in it to protect it when the hook is on. I want to add this and wanted to see if someone can tell me what size it takes. Synthetic rope is 3/16" off Polaris website.

Attached pic is what I want to add.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Why? Does the thimble change how it hooks to hook pin?

I broke mine first few months of ownership and just have rope tied off to pin thru hook, only been that way for 3yrs without issue. You put a load on your winch it’ll compress/close that thimble anyhow and why i lost mine

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? Does the thimble change how it hooks to hook pin?

I broke mine first few months of ownership and just have rope tied off to pin thru hook, only been that way for 3yrs without issue. You put a load on your winch it’ll compress/close that thimble anyhow and why i lost mine
I just thought it was suppose to be there to protect the rope.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Im sure for most folks it’ll last just fine, but fortunately/unfortunately we have to winch alot and that thing will squeeze shut and work its way out if the rope. Even the steel cable winch on rear of my quad lost it within weeks.

I just tie my hook with the rope like i do my boat anchor, cant recall name of knot but supposedly the deaign of it doesnt let it constrict and cut its own self off. Simple knot, really fast out in the feild, just dont recall the name, but tieing it around the pin that goes thru your hook that has the cotter key isnt any better or worse, just so long as its attached securely :)

Edit:
Palomar Knot

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sure for most folks it’ll last just fine, but fortunately/unfortunately we have to winch alot and that thing will squeeze shut and work its way out if the rope. Even the steel cable winch on rear of my quad lost it within weeks.

I just tie my hook with the rope like i do my boat anchor, cant recall name of knot but supposedly the deaign of it doesnt let it constrict and cut its own self off. Simple knot, really fast out in the feild, just dont recall the name, but tieing it around the pin that goes thru your hook that has the cotter key isnt any better or worse, just so long as its attached securely :)

Edit:
Palomar Knot
Thanks, looked that knot up. Very simple.

·
Registered
216 Posts
a hd galvanized unit will work and not crush, u should have on the loop as it will protect the line, should be able to get one at a good hardware store.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a hd galvanized unit will work and not crush, u should have on the loop as it will protect the line, should be able to get one at a good hardware store.
I was trying to figure out what size it would take. I have the 3/16" rope. If you know what size, I can run to the hardware store.

Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts