Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a synthetic rope that has one if those protective sleeves on the first like 5' of the rope? I do on mine and the thing slides and sucks back in the spool of the winch and gets chewed up and what not. I mean are they really necessary? Anybody ever just take them off?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
no you dont need it....its basicly for chapping on rocks if you need to winch out....

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had one on mine. Did my best to use it properly for a while. Eventually cut it off in a rage while trying to get my winch rope out while stuck. Not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm finding this out. Winch works great with the rope but a pain in the rear when it binds up.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It's a chafe guard. If you are winching over a rock or around a tree you use it to protect your rope from damage. If you don't need it just take it off. I keep mine stored in my rear bag. If I need it it's in there.

·
Registered
450 Posts
An old pair of jeans will do the trick for a chafe guard without binding up on the spool. Just cut one of the legs off the jeans and lay across whatever sharpish edge you're worried about. Roll them up and stick in your storage when you're done. Simple.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This dude on e-bay named randy61af, has 3/16 x 50ft Dyneena synthetic rope with 5' chafe protection & has the winch guard also for $42 (+10 bucks shipping to Canada) He also has a video showing the strength comparison between the Dyneena rope & cable.
I am interested in going to rope as well, wondering if this is a good rope & if so, is that a good price?

·
Registered
105 Posts
This dude on e-bay named randy61af, has 3/16 x 50ft Dyneena synthetic rope with 5' chafe protection & has the winch guard also for $42 (+10 bucks shipping to Canada) He also has a video showing the strength comparison between the Dyneena rope & cable.
I am interested in going to rope as well, wondering if this is a good rope & if so, is that a good price?
Go on amazon and read reviews on the rope and great price comparason lots of options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts