Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 Sportsman X2 500. When getting ready for a trip, noticed i had a dead battery. I replaced it, and found that my tail-lights were on constantly. I'm certain this drained and killed my battery. The only way I can get them to turn off is by unplugging the lights or battery.

The brake lights still work when i grab the hand brake. They do not work when i press the foot brake. I don't know if they did normally, but makes me suspect something with the brakes. But its the tail lights not the brake lights that are on. I am assuming these are the lights that come on with the headlights (but the headlights aren't constantly on).

I tore everything apart I could think of, and this wire seems to have constant power. It goes to both tail lights, the headlight switch, a control module by the radiator, and is one of the two wires that plug into the thing that all brake lines plug into (sorry don't know what it is). When I grab the hand brake this plug 'shorts' the two wires connected. The other wire connected goes the the brake lights. Not knowing how this is supposed to work, i don't know if there is a problem with it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Also if there are any known resorces for wiring diagrams that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome aboard, what part of Idaho are you from?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello,
to me it sounds like you have a bad switch at the hand break.not sure though.
to get a good manual try www.midwestmanuals.com i got a complete manual for 10 bucks vs.35.00 to 60.00 for a book. the one a got has complete wire diagrams for my sportmans 450. Hope the web site helps you out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think its the switch at the hand brake, i pulled just the wire for the tail lights from the 6 wire connector at that switch, and still had lights. I will double check it though.

I already ordered a Clymer manual for $40. I bought one for my old sled and it was pretty useful, but would like the polaris repair manaul. Thanks for the link, i will check it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same problem, but started after I was in too deep of water. Control module in front of radiator was under water for about 30 seconds. Thinking of taking it in to dealer but would sure like to know if someone has been able to fix this problem themselves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Replacing the Power Distribution Module fixed my problem. Its been about a year since i did it, but i'm pretty sure that is the module in front of the radiator. At the time i was pretty sure the problem i was having was related to the power distribution module, but i was never able to find a way to test it. I went ahead and had my polaris dealer spend a couple hours labor diagnosing it, and they came to the conclusion that it was the power distribution module. So there must be some sort of way they can test the module to see if its bad.

If i remember correctly it is about $250-$300 just for the module.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts