Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
I have a 2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. and I am trying to add a few extra tail lights, brake lights and wire it up so i can plug my trailer lights in and they work right as well. I have found a few things about it being a pos. ground but am having a hard time understanding.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Huh:hmmm: positive ground??? Not that I know of. Are you trying to make the Polaris taillights act like trailer lights?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, and they dont work right. I have done it over and over, checked and double checked my wiring. idk why it does not work

·
Registered
307 Posts
So you have a 4 pin trailer wiring harness. You spliced in the left and right trailer wires in to the Polaris taillights. I think that you would have to add disconnects to the Polaris wires so that the battery and wiring harness is disconnected from each other. Then the trailer wires will run straight to the taillights instead of through the entire Polaris wiring system. Make since?

Cut the tail light wires at a point just under the rear fenders and install male/female connectors. Unplug the connectors when it is on the trailer and then plug in the trailer wires in to the taillights. Then when you get to point B, disconnect the trailer wires and reconnect the Polaris wires.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
294 Posts
BDun, so I ran into the same problem installing led tail lights in my wheeler. I started a thread explaining my findings, I spent hours on trying to figure this out. Polaris does not use conventional wiring. "LED tail light pics" is the thread.

twotxns, I did cut the wires under the fenders and installed bullet type connectors on the wires and interchanged them in all configurations and it does not make a difference. The wires change polarity when the brake is applied.

Crazy if you ask me.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I havent played with mine, but the first thing that came to mind is these machines do not have seperate right and left wiring. Sure the newer machines have two tail lights. But its just split from one single source. They do not have turn signals.
So, one pos wire running back then split for the two tail lights is all thats required. (utalizing a common Negative ground) Kinda like the marker lights are wired.
Also, the electrical systems are not like on a automobile. Most cannot take much additional draw. If it where me, I would be using LED bulbs.

These machines are not positive ground. Look at your battery connections...

CW

·
Registered
3 Posts
So you have a 4 pin trailer wiring harness. You spliced in the left and right trailer wires in to the Polaris taillights. I think that you would have to add disconnects to the Polaris wires so that the battery and wiring harness is disconnected from each other. Then the Aftermarket Parts wires will run straight to the taillights instead of through the entire Polaris wiring system. Make since?

Cut the tail light wires at a point just under the rear fenders and install male/female connectors. Unplug the connectors when it is on the trailer and then plug in the trailer wires in to the taillights. Then when you get to point B, disconnect the trailer wires and reconnect the Polaris wires.
This. I've been trying to do the same thing as you with the Polaris lights. I ended up messing up on the wires, but then got em' to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts