Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 1994 Polaris Trail Boss 400L 2x4 from a buddy who knows less about ATVs than I do. When he first got it the battery was dead so he got a new one and all was good except... all of the lights went out.

Took it to a Polaris shop they replace the lights and with a fresh battery all was good. He let it set for a year and battery went dead.

Trying to avoid the same issue I took the battery off and slow charged it. But being a new owner of an ATV I could not wait for battery to charge to play so while the battery was charging I just pulled started it and everything seemed fine but he dash lights ended up going out. But I never turn on the other lights so I hoped that they were saved.

Hooked up the charged battery she started right up and I tested the lights. They work for about 30 secs before going out.

Any suggestions? Using a test light shows I am getting power but it looks like it may be too much power.

Any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
309 Posts
Likely the voltage regulator. Any time you run a vehicle that is equipped with a starting battery and do not have a battery hooked up you take a chance on burning up the regulator. I have learned this the hard way myself. If it requires a battery, you better have one in place or the regulator will likely be damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know Z-Rider. Do you know of a way to test the regulator before going off and dropping the $100 for a new one?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Good to know Z-Rider. Do you know of a way to test the regulator before going off and dropping the $100 for a new one?
I am not sure how to test one or what specs should be. More than likely it will require an ohm meter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts