Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on taking a Sportsman 500 to California from Saskatchewan for a holiday in February. I bought it new in 2000 but can not locate my bill of sale. Do I have to declare it when I cross into the USA. I am not exporting this and will return with it. I was wondering if anyone has done this before. I was hoping to declare it ahead of time to save time at the border.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Since our gov. is "shut down" I guess you cant call anybody to find out what you really need. I would think that it would be just like a travel trailer you'd pull on vacation, for recreation. Just my thought.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I had my sled extensively customized this summer in the states, dropping it off in the early summer the US side didnt ask anything of the sled.
This month on the way down to pick it up, the US side grilled me and asked if us customs gave me any papers when I went through in the summer, i said no, the guard made no mention of it, I asked what papers they wanted and they didnt wanna say and let me go.
Maybe just testing my story I dont know.
Wouldnt hurt to call if they have a number, or ask in person if the border isnt too far.
The canadian side would prob. be more interested in knowing if you bought it in the states on the way back, then the us side on the way down.
So have your ownership and insurance cards handy to prove its yours.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks my concern is that when I return to Canada the CSBA will think I purchased it while I was down there. I have the original Polaris club card and service manual for it but not sure where the bill of sale ended up.I might just ask my dealer to write up a new bill of sale. I am taking my 2012 Ranger as well but I do have the bill of sale for it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ask Canada Customs or RCMP if they would be willing to have an officer verify vin#s and sign a paper with a notary that contains those vins saying that you possessed them in Canada, before you leave, for the purpose of streamlining re-entry.
Ask US customs a few days ahead. They might be willing to provide an official looking paper stating you left Canada with them and they expect you to take them back in x timeframe.
A vehicle title? That would have a vin and address. Some states don't issue em here I expect it's the same with the provinces.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am planning on taking a Sportsman 500 to California from Saskatchewan for a holiday in February. I bought it new in 2000 but can not locate my bill of sale. Do I have to declare it when I cross into the USA. I am not exporting this and will return with it. I was wondering if anyone has done this before. I was hoping to declare it ahead of time to save time at the border.
My friend and I went to Majestic Trails in PA for a trip went there early in the morning and returned the next day. The US border didn't want to see the ownership or insurance for the ATV's or trailer, they didn't seem to care. We had ownerships and insurance ready with the passports and he just said he wasn't interested. Same thing coming back over with CBSA. Both ATV's had Ontario license plates on them as did the trailer.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Make sure the quad is spotless, not one drop of dirt on it. That is one thing they look at when heavy equipment crosses the border to be sold.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
cross the border all the time with the atv on the truck.no big deal .has an Ontario plate and insurance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it is plated they generally ask no questions. When I trailer to the states to ride I load the bikes sideways with plates facing drivers side (makes it easier for a quick look over). Have your ownership and insurance ready if asked for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We can't plate atvs in Saskatchewan. I will have to get my dealer to write up another bill of sale. I have heard CBSA can search the VIN and it will come up as me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does saskatchewan use any other form of vehicle registration for off road other than a plate? If so that should do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts