Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '10 sportsman 500 HO with about 54 hours on it now. Runs great! I noticed the other morning when there was much dew/fog/humidity overnight when i started machine and let it idle warming up about every 10 secs or so a slight tap could be heard coming from inside belt cover. it went away after a few mins and did not return rest of day. anyone have any idea what that was? maybe excess moisture in the air accumulating on belt and it flings it off slamming it against belt cover? I opened up the water drain plug but it was bone dry, hmmmm. :nixweiss:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Deflection in the belt slapping the bottom of cover. My '13 500 was doing same thing, new belt fixed my issue.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deflection on belt

So what do you think causes this? I've only heard it once after a driving late a night then lots of dew on ground overnite (humid and cool) and then only for a couple minutes about every 10 secs of so. Is it because the belt sat a long time in one position? previous owner only put 42 hours in 42 months yet it runs very well now. did you do the belt yourself? I've seen the utube videos on replacing it, doesn't look very difficult. one guy even did it w/out removing anything but shroud i think. :hmmm:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yes it could easily be deflection in the belt from sitting for a long time. Same as the flat spots on tires when they sit for a long time. If it doesn't happen again don't worry about it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I too would guess the belt tapping the cover..... I'd use it as it is. And as you use it and it warms up it should begin to loose it's "memory" (like the flat spot of a tire described above). It shouldn't be an issue unless it becomes a "slap" or a constant every revolution tap. As that could mean the belt may be failing at that point.

Wouldn't take much to pull the clutch cover and at least take a look-see!

·
Registered
164 Posts
May help deglazing sides of belt.not hard to do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
^ good answers as well. Mine also would only do it couple time then gone. Belt replacement is pretty straight forward, remove foot well and 1 bolt under seat for fender, then cover bolts and clamp on vent. Strategically remove cover holding rear fender up.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Had a 2011 & 2013 500 and both did/do it. Only when cold outside, only until warm. Pulled clutch cover many times and even replaced belt and still does it. Never made a groove in clutch cover, so gave up caring.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update - mine continues the 'tapping' (like once every 8-10 secs for about 3-5 mins) until it warms up then gone for the day. IF i get crazy and try to swap the belt (looked pretty ez on videos that older gent did on utube) I guess I should check my current belt first Before buying one? Main question (and i think i know the answer) is EBS or not? I think my 2010 sportsman 500 HO does not have it only cuz when i look it up at different parts places they don't list EBS for a 2010 sportsman. Does that sound right to everyone, no ebs on that model? The bike only has 54 hrs now yet is 48 months old so not much use in first 4 yrs and i don't want to be left stranded so thought i'd change it after hunt season is over in january.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I didn't think any "value line" machine (400, 500 & 800 / Year 2010 +) had EBS. I know my 2012 800 doesn't. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't think any "value line" machine (400, 500 & 800 / Year 2010 +) had EBS. I know my 2012 800 doesn't. :dunno:
That makes sense (why didn't i think of that), so I'll get the non-ebs official Polaris 'brand' belt and swap out current then keep it for a spare. thanks everyone - ride on! :^)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts