Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
It is about as rough as any trail you will find up there. Really nothing difficult about it, just extremely rocky. Kind of similar to the east side of Hancock Pass, if you have ever ridden that. I think it is worth the ride once you get to the top. There was a couple behind us that did it in an orange Ranger 900 XP with no problem.
thanks that's good to know. I've got a ranger and we're going to take it. taylor pass/Richmond hill and iron chest mine trail out of st elmo are the only trails in the funtreks guidebook of taylor park I've never done. for whatever reason we've just never done taylor pass, and I've heard the boulder field to iron chest mine is a pain, so I haven't done it either.

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've never done Iron Chest either. Bi66badjohn did it a couple of years ago. When he got home he sold his Brute and bought an XP with power steering. Looks like fun, but it's another one I don't think the wife or the dog would enjoy.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I did Iron Chest about 3 years ago. I went about 150 yards and said I had enough. We took some pictures to prove we were there. Saw some jeepers coming down and everyone of them said they had a flat. Some trails just aren't to be ridden and that is one of them for me. When I travel 18 hours to ride I try to hit the scenic trails and stay off the hard stuff. Did you make it to Mt Antero and to feed the varmants?

Ronnie

·
Registered
806 Posts
Iron Chest is rough and tough. I wouldn't ever take an atv up it. I had fun taking my fullsize Jeep up it, the long wheelbase was great for that trail. But it's not as bad as it was before they did the reclamation work, about 10 years ago IIRC. Funny thing, right after they got done w/ the work they left the rocks out of the bottom boulder field. A bunch of the hardcore rockcrawler guys were pissed! So they put them back.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts