Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 96 polaris 425 dead again. I have been through the carb kit etc... All the stuff mentioned. My question today is...How do you test the fuel pump for proper operation.. I am not sure what to do anymore... What kind of problems will a faulty fuel pump cause??? Thanks in advance, Dave

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
should gas come out without cranking it over??? Thanks

A few drops, yes, but it shouldn't free flow. When you turn the key though, gas should spray out of it.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
been fighting flooding and a super rich condition. Could a faulty fuel pump cause this condition?? Been fighting this thing forever...Thanks Dave

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
If its flooding then that means the carb isn't setup right. Fuel flow is fuel flow, if its good to the carb then that's not the problem. If the floats, needle, and seat are in check then you shouldn't have a flooding issue. If it's loading up while riding I would double check everything is in spec BUT I read thru your past thread and I honestly think your cam lobes may be rounded off. They can mimic the symptoms of a bad carburetor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
should gas come out without cranking it over??? Thanks

A few drops, yes, but it shouldn't free flow. When you turn the key though, gas should spray out of it.
fuel should spray or just pump through?? My pump must be on its way out, the bike acted like it ran out of gas. I traced the problem to the fuel pump, whenever i cranked the bike no fuel would come out. I blew into the tank to build some pressure and the bike fired right up. Pulled the fuel line from the carb and i have flow there now, but certainly not enough for a spray.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Should just pump through when engine is turned over, these are a vacume pump, there is a pulse line hooked to the other side of your carb, this pulls a vacume when engine is turned over making fuel pump work. these pumps can get full of mud, you can take it apart and see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts