Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how and what readings I should have for an ignition coil on a 09 sportsman 800 EFI? I have a "no spark" issue and cant seem to narrow it down. Ive tried two different ignition coils and still get no spark. Ive tested all the leads on the coil with every one being open. The second coil (bought it used) I tested was the same. So either im testing it wrong or both coils i have are dead.

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
It should have a measurable resistance on both the primary and secondary. If it's open that's not right or like you said they're bad. But the chances both are bad is slim!!!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I have been studying the service manuals and it was a fail - the ignition system is not covered in many of them - it appears that the ignition system is considered trouble free or dealer only serviceable - this is the extent of ignition system troubleshooting in all the 700 and 800 manuals that I scoured:

Ignition System Troubleshooting
No Spark, Weak, or Intermittent Spark
• Spark plug gap incorrect
• Fouled spark plug
• Faulty spark plug cap or poor connection to high tension lead
• Related wiring loose, disconnected, shorted, or corroded
• Engine Stop switch or ignition switch faulty
• ETC switch mis-adjusted or faulty
• Wire harness or connections wet, corroded
• Poor ignition coil ground (e.g. coil mount loose or corroded)
• Incorrect wiring (inspect color coding in connectors etc.)
• Faulty ignition coil winding (measure resistance of primary and secondary)
• Sheared flywheel key
• Flywheel loose or damaged
• Faulty ECU

The wiring diagram indicates the coils primary resistance to be .4 ohms between the red/gry and the gark green/wht wire - likewise between the red/gry and yel/brn wire

Secondary is measured between each spark plug wire and the red/gry wire. The measurement should be approximately the same, but again, no value is specified.

We all know troubleshooting the ignition is more involved than what is outlined here, but this is all Polaris offers.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Don't forget there's a diode in the secondary side of the coil. Swap your test leads and see if there's a difference.

Mark

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
mvn is correct, there is a diode in the secondary of the coil - resistance or continuity can only be read in one direction

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info! Yeah my mulitmeter set to ohms doesnt show any reading on either coil so they must be bad. Im hoping to pick another one up this weekend so hopfully it works.

·
9,437 Posts
Great info! Yeah my mulitmeter set to ohms doesnt show any reading on either coil so they must be bad. Im hoping to pick another one up this weekend so hopfully it works.
Take your meter with you to see what the new one reads before buying... Or try another meter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
did this work for you? I have a 2007 800 that I suspect has weak spark. I get 0.7 ohms on the primary. For the secondary I am not getting any reading just like you no matter which way I have the test leads. Did your new coil work and test out properly i.e. the secondary resistance was in the 1000's of ohms? and worked?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts