Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have a bad TPS sensor in my newly acquired 09 sportsman 800 efi. I have a few new tps sensors coming in from China and I'm sure they are going to be garbage. I noticed someone local to me selling a throttle body with the sensor included but he wants over $100 for it. I'm reluctant but I would rather have a Polaris part then the ones I've order from China.
Is there a way to test it with a meter and a nine volt battery before I hand over the money?

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Yes, but you need an adapter test cable PU-47082 (dealer only item), a new 9v battery and a meter (analog preferred) - connect the cable per instructions included with the cable and connect the meter - open and close the throttle to check for linear operation of the TPS. If the TPS is good, then you set the reference voltage per the instructions included with the test cable - voltage should be .499-5.01 volts DC. If the voltage is low, try a different new 9 volt battery - if the output voltage is still low, reset the zero offset voltage. With the engine off, disconnect the throttle cable and back out the air flow screw so it does not contact the throttle cable cam. Open and close the throttle plate (butterfly) a couple times to assure complete closing. DO NOT LET THE THROTTLE 'SNAP' CLOSED AS IT MAY CAUSE UNNECESSARY THROTTLE PLATE TO THROTTLE BODY INTERFERENCE AND/OR DAMAGE. The output voltage should be .528V + - .01 VOLT. When the zero offset voltage is established, turn the air flow screw in to raise the voltage to .710 + - .01 volt. TPS is now set and ready for connection to the vehicle wiring harness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks latebird, I am familiar with the harness and the process with it. I guess I'm not explaining myself very well.
I need to test the a throttle body with tps sensor that is not currently in a machine. I'm looking to buy it used off of someone local but I don't want to take it without knowing if the tps works.
I was hoping there was a way to rig something up with a 9volt and a voltmeter

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm looking at the part tonight, I can't exactly wait for the harness to come in. I'm looking for a way to wire a nine volt and a voltmeter. I don't really need a special harness when I can solder and alligator clip a few things just to test it.

·
10,595 Posts
I don't know why you'd doubt the TPS you'll get from China?? That's the same place that Polaris gets them from but they charge about %400 markup to put them in a Polaris branded little plastic bag. :grin
I guess you really believe that stuff about getting what you pay for huh?

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
The test harness comes with the instructions for which pins to make the connections to - I do not have the harness, I do not work on the fuel systems of the EFI machines - I'm good with carbs so I'll let the next generation of electronic geeks play with the EFI and I'll work with point type ignitions and carburetors, much more forgiving and easier to troubleshoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts