Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing out a thanks for all the help last week with my crash course on my 04sportsman.

I got the bike running and it runs very well, my melted wire is the one that goes to the cig adapter..so that is done and should not effect anything.

I replaced the starter and bendix and now have the electric start working well.

The radiator stop leak fixed the water pump leak for the weekend, new seal going in this week.

Now all weekend I had all sorts of dash lights coming and going....the battery light came on and off the fuel gauge popped up on a rare occasion. All the wires are in good shape under the dash other than that cig adapter wire.

When I turn the bike off it stay running with the key off and the switch off.....this is the most recent thing it does. But still turns dash on with key and dash off with key but stays running.

Any ideas where to look or what could be wrong to effect so many dash lights.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
When I turn the bike off it stay running with the key off and the switch off.....this is the most recent thing it does. But still turns dash on with key and dash off with key but stays running.
Ignition switch or corrosion on the connections there would be my first guess.
Agreed..... your above statement is the give away. I'd think it either to be the ignition switch contacts or the ECM (brain box).

But I'd start at the igition switch. Remove it, carefully unassemble it, clean the contacts with scotch brite lightly, apply dielectric grease to contacts and reassemble and reinstall it.... but be very carefull when pulling it apart. You don't want to loose any parts/springs, ect..... or you'll be buying a new $70+ egnition switch!! It's worth a try for the.... free fix.

If not my second guess would be the ECM (engine control module).

Guys, was the 2004 models part of the ECM recall? May want to check into that too..... :dunno:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Yes 04 was in the recall. call dealer with vin #, they would do lots of crazy things, the biggest was fan would continue to run after switch was shut off , some got hot enough to start machines on fire.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, going to call the dealer with the VIN this week and see. At least it runs now. I took the plugs out and re plugged but no luck. Checked the battery cables and solenoid wires tight. I also do not have AWD now so all the handlebar plugs do not have juice either. No visible wire issues or anything. Might as well get recall taken care of first I doubt it was ever taken.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
if you go to the Ploris site where you type in VIN number..it will tell you previous owner and if any recalls were done...I did mine and showed who owned it an the recall on the warn winch relay was done....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called the dealer, no service bulletins for this model. It is a standard 2004 Sportsman The recall only included the 04.5 models looking at the bulletin. I'll go double check connections and see if I can come up with anything.

Also Went online and punch VIN in same deal, no service bulletins.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the ignition on and off and appliedsome di electric and it work for a few times, then eventually stayed running, butthe handlebar switch worked that time. The AWD light is on as well and its not inj AWD, the Fuel gauge comes and goes. I figure I would be betteroff replacing the ECM. I see it as part number 3087169 its a small black box with a smaller connector. Is the diecast ECM a replacement for this or is it a different ECM altogether. The Vin is 4XACH50A14A015.... So is that the AA number listed under the schematics?

I also have looked several times now for any loose or bad connections and cannot find any. The bike runs and drives perfect when it is running, just a bunch of dash issues.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also have looked several times now for any loose or bad connections and cannot find any. The bike runs and drives perfect when it is running, just a bunch of dash issues.
Where the ECM Mounts to the frame is also the mounting spot for several ground wires, It sounds to me like you have a grounding issue... I would check the wire diagram and follow the ground distribution and make sure all your grounds are clean. Grounds are one of the hardest things to troubleshoot and they cause all kinds of crazy problems you would never expect.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Where do the wires run? Also it looks like the ground wire that's attached to the top of the coil might be a little corroded?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Crazy, Do you have this link yet? :dunno: Service Manual Link: Index of /ORV Manuals

Try checking the wiring schematic for the Brown & Purple wires. I looked at the 2003 400-500 manual / schematic... and the only place I see a Purple wire used is for a "Reverse Accessory" (rear tail light work lamps or something of the likes).

Here are some random thoughts..... since the ignition runs through the kill switch first, try cleaning the contacts within that also.

Have you looked at the fuse block under the front plastics (often times sealed in a black bag), try cleaning any contacts in there also.

Even if those two thoughts don't solve the issue, they will be ruled out and be good to go for a while again too!

How's the battery? Sometimes batteries can cause funny things to happen to?

Just throughing out ideas / grasping at straws to check, before you drop the coin on an ECM.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This thing sat outside so It had some condensation issue under the cover making these issues arise I am sure. I opened up all three black pods and replaced one circuit breaker the others were perfectly clean. It has a new battery, that was the first thing I replaced. I cleaned up those connections at the coil. Aside from the pod and the funky things its runs awesome.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The brown and purple wire on the 2005 diagram shows fuel sending unit. I do not see a full service manual for specifically the 2004 model only the owners manual for download, I checked it out.

Those wires run up into the pod not exactly sure where I would assume the large connection to pod display

1 - 15 of 15 Posts