Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So wife took my 4 year old son out for a ride on our brand new 2013 Sportsman 550XP EPS...The story is he hit the throttle by accident, not sure I believe it. I was right behind them on my wheeler and she was probably going 3mph, missed a turn and hit a hemlock tree...and the front aluminum subframe broke in 3 different spots. 2 of the breaks were on one piece, and the total of replacement parts is about $60, but wow, talk about brittle!

Also, while taking care of the break I noticed 3 wires with connectors, not connected to anything, right up front...does anyone know what those are for?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med: For a winch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! We're fine, very low speed incident. I still don't really believe it was the kid's fault:) There were a few minor things...when they put it together they must've used an impact gun because 4 bolts were snapped right off...just minor bolts. Full disclosure, I have a 2003 Grizzly 660 and I love it, this is my wife's new machine, her old one was a Kodiak 450. I find myself preferring the Sportsman more and more as I ride it. She tried all the machins out before she decided, they are expensive, ya know! The Polaris was by far her favorite...and it's becoming mine, too.

Those wires are probably for a winch, which I need to get soon...nice machine, but not light:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
That bracket is very weak compared to the way the 09's were built. A friend of mine rolled his 2012 850 at the Pink corral sand dunes, and it was a very slow roll over in the sand and it broke that bracket. I own a 2013 850 and a 2009 850 and there is a bunch of changes they made to the frame and the rear suspension, the 09's had a problem of breaking off the rear sway bar bracket from the lower arms, I have had this happen 4 times now, there is some sort of binding problem going on to cause this, this is why they changed the whole rear setup in 2010, moving the battery to the front and started using the alum bracket you have spoken of. they also did away with the left rear brake so 2010 and up has 3 wheel brakes now, 09' are the only one with 4 wheel disc. I will never understand with all the testing they do how these problems get to the public. I am sorry to gone off on more then you ask for but I could not help myself.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened, My heart would have stopped watching that as I have a 4 yr old too, I switched him this year to the rear seat which he hates and always wants to sit in front of me and is always pushing buttons, so I could see that happening!

And just think, if they built it like they should can you imagine how much more they would weigh, I am sure they are using lighter/weaker components to keep the weights down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Built in accessory leads, eh? That's convenient!

No doubt they used cast aluminum to save weight, and they need to save it anyway they can. My wife's 03 Kodiak looks like a wet noodle, there isn't a straight piece of metal on it! None of it broke, though. The Polaris OEM aluminum parts are fairly cheap, and I guess I'm okay with it breaking instead of bending...something's got to give...I was just surprised because it was such a mild hit, especially considering what my other wheelers have been through...We kept the Kodiak for friends and family to beat on:)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Similar thing just happened to me too. My girlfriend 'bumped' into a tree. It pushed the whole left side of the nose of the machine in. I was surprised that a such a low-speed collision could cause so much damage. I guess these machines are just so heavy, it doesn't take much...? Or these frames aren't too stout... Luckily, nothing cracked, I was able to take it apart, bend everything back, and reassemble it successfully. Better yet to replace the bracket for $60 like you are.

·
Registered
90 Posts
60 dollar brackets or several hundred on a front fender plastic.....seems like a good engineering decision on Polaris's part.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've questioned myself why polaris used that aluminum sub frame or as I like to call it the radiator support.. I rolled my machine broke the thing to.. why not make it out of steel? Unless it's supposed to act like some sorta crumple zone..

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Diesel has a point, the plastic is a lot more expensive. This plastic seems a lot stronger than the plastic I'm used to. I really do think it's just to save weight. Aluminum seems as strong as steel, it just doesn't bend like steel does. I bought ITP steel rims for my grizzly about 7 years ago, and my buddy bought cast aluminum rims. He's busted and had to replace 2 of them, mine are bent here and there, but still function just fine. Although sometimes you wonder if you're better off just to have a busted wheel than a bent frame...

·
Registered
294 Posts
That unit weighs over 700 lbs. It doesn't surprise me in the least that it broke. Something's going to give.. may as well be that piece.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I hit a tree doing a local harescramble and broke them same rack / radiator support peices. thank god those parts are cheap

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yea, for the parts I broke, maybe 25$ total with shipping.. and in stock, so I guess it's a common broke part. That was nothing compared to the front plastic bumper at 100$ the front rack at 80$ the rear rack at 180$ then having the front and rear cab repainted at 320$ so yeah before I ever broke that 20$ part. I did allot more damage. So I can see why it's made out of aluminum.

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Good to hear everyone is ok,..........

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm glad everyone is OK and I'm really glad I'm not the only one who has run into a tree LOL!

I just got my 850 X2 back from the repair shop after $2,500 and a couple of months of repairs due to me swamping it in the river. I wasn't even on the thing more than a half hour before I started feeling comfortable and started riding a little more aggressively. Then I took a hard banked turn, caught a rut and ended up going over the bank and ran into a tree going about 15mph. I had a front polaris extreme front bumper that took most of the impact and I ended up breaking one of the lock and ride mounts for the front lock box and after I took the bumper off to straighten it out I saw I broke the front aluminum sub frame/radiator mount. I just about freaked and was sick to my stomach until I found out it was less than $100 to fix everything. Heck of a lot cheaper lesson learned than when I sunk it in the river...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts