Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I the only one who has noticed ALOT of people reporting cold weather starting/operation issues with their 570's? On polarisatvforums, internet searches, and locally!!???!!!

Recently there were 3 reports on this website alone in just 24 hours time all with similar issues. There are also multiple past threads and posts on here all stating that the 570 either wont start or wont operate properly when the ambient temperature gets cold. A majority of those were from new members. An internet search results in many reported issues, and there are a few local instances around my area as well.

I KNOW POLARIS READS THESE THREADS SO I MADE THIS ONE ON BEHALF OF ALL THOSE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH THEIR 570's AND COLD WEATHER

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 500 has had the first starting problem yesterday. It is cold here but when I try to start it itll just click once from an area around the battery. Lights work and speedo we orks but starter just clicks.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Are you guys using battery tenders to keep the charge up

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are you guys using battery tenders to keep the charge up
No im not but i charged the battery today to a full charge and when i put it on the polaris the lights worked speedo worked but the starter just clicks.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Dont think that it would have to do with the engine itself rather the fuel injection system. I wonder if polaris was using fuji fuel injection before and now they are using there own. Who knows. No problems with my 550's. For those with starter clicking with a full battery that just tells you that the starter itself is to weak.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Dont think that it would have to do with the engine itself rather the fuel injection system. I wonder if polaris was using fuji fuel injection before and now they are using there own. Who knows. No problems with my 550's. For those with starter clicking with a full battery that just tells you that the starter itself is to weak.

I believe EFI system on my old 700 is Bosch based

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been concerned about this.

My 570 does not seem to be affected. I go take it for a ride whenever the temp gets into single digits. Just to test it. It starts, idles, and runs like its 75 degrees out.

From searching the internet (primarily on the rzr forum), the issue seemed to be resolved with just a new NGK plug.

The fact the new posters came on, posted the complaint, then disappeared leads me to believe it was a simple fix or an isolated incident.

Why don't we compile some links in this thread to follow from other forums about cold start issues. Anything about the problem, potential fixes, and causes.

Doesn't want to start when it is cold - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net

·
Registered
815 Posts
Mine runs fine in the cold. Took it out in the snow all day yesterday.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mine runs fine in the cold. Took it out in the snow all day yesterday.
So how is it running since u got it back.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
815 Posts
runs great. did an exhaust mod to get a nicer sound from it. So far it runs smooth and starts right up

·
Registered
163 Posts
My battery reads at 11.0 Volts... Is this the reason my starter is clicking but the speedo and lights work? Should i get a new battery?

·
Registered
815 Posts
aren't these only a 12 volt battery?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think it is a 12v battery. I head people say they are suppose to read at about 12.5volts if it is still good.

·
Registered
815 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine out yesterday pulling kids around on the sled. It started just fine. -8 degrees with the wind chill. Like others have said, I had trouble with the stock Champion spark plug. It fouled and had to be changed with only 6 miles on my machine. No problems since then with the new NGK.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Okay lets get out some facts here. There is a difference between voltage and cranking amps. The colder the temperature the less the amount of cold cranking amps you have. You may have 12v at the freezing point but you only have a half the amount of cranking amps that you would have if at room temperature. On top of that everything else is cold and stiffer so requires more power to turn over. Now you add a bit of condensation, the natural by product up heating up something then letting it cool to the mix and you have a recipe to make turning over the motor very hard.

Fuel injected engines also need almost a full charge to run the system and turning over the starter reduces that and can lead to hard starting.

I have put in bigger batteries and using battery maintainers go along way to alleviate this. The other culprit I have found is that if its really cold and your playing in the snow, the snow dust seems to get into the starter that encourages a bit of freeze up. It was -40 over Christmas here and both of my XP's started, albeit slowly if they were on a maintainer. No maintainer and no go.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My 800 sat out on a lake by my ice shack last night for 2hrs. Winds at 30 mph and the temp was -16. Wind chill at -30 to -45. It started, but I could tell it was cold.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Inrbigness is right on the ball.

Most people forget you need enough juice to turn your starter and strike up your ignition system. If you are showing less than 12v chances are you don't even have spark.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts