Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before EBC had their global online catalogues, this is how automotive and Motorcycle parts could be found in 1997!

What do you miss (or miss doing) that technology has replaced, if anything?

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've spent many hours thumbing through parts and accessory catalogs of all sorts lol.
There was something 'nice' about using an old style catalogue I think, the time it took to find the right parts was not so nice!

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,348 Posts
Did you ever use MicroFish cards?

Reactions: EBC Brakes UK

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,348 Posts
LOL, got to love auto spell

·
12,232 Posts
Showing our age FPD. Some of the younger members probably can't even imagine not having personal computers, internet, cell phones, online parts ordering or having to use microfiche to look up parts and have never sat down with a paper catalog and a pencil to write out a parts list and then get on the phone to place the order lol.
Times have sure changed. :unsure:

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Showing our age FPD. Some of the younger members probably can't even imagine not having personal computers, internet, cell phones, online parts ordering or having to use microfiche to look up parts and have never sat down with a paper catalog and a pencil to write out a parts list and then get on the phone to place the order lol.
Times have sure changed. :unsure:
I remember when We first had the internet at home and waiting for the 'dial up' to connect with that awful screeching sound!

·
12,232 Posts
LOL, The old dial up connections you could click to open a page and go to the restroom and back before it loaded. With today's graphics it would take forever.

·
Premium Member
12,338 Posts
Those book/manuals/catalogs where great!!!! I didn't really learn SH!T in school it wasn't until I got out and had all these "books" available to me before I knew it I started to know a thing or 2!!!! The one catalog I learned the most from was the Grainger catalog. I would sit a read that thing for hours. It was almost an embarrassing habit if you will until a really good electrician I worked under as an apprentice was blown away that I know so much about "hardware". He actually was so shocked I knew so much he asked how I knew what I did and I told him from reading the Grainger catalog. From that point on my stock rose at that company because the most competent electrician was completely impressed by this young 20yr old, lol.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I remember finding ads for cheap OEM parts in the back of dirt bike magazines. No microfiche to look at on the phone. Had a Clymer's manual in hand to make sure I called the parts by the correct name.

It worked most of time.

Crazy that now I can see a complete parts diagram at my desk and click a few buttons to get it it days, not weeks (typically)

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, The old dial up connections you could click to open a page and go to the restroom and back before it loaded. With today's graphics it would take forever.
You sometimes had time to have your lunch whilst it was connecting :D

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
I have a microfiche machine and fiche back to the 60's - it's amazing that I can still look up parts for a 1964 CA110 Honda and because I can look up the part numbers, I can usually find the parts I need to fix the old POS (just ordered an OEM NOS rubber tube to connect the carb to the intake manifold 16261-011-020 from Malaysia) - try looking that up online.

I prefer the print catalogs - I currently have the 1917 issue and issue 302. I recently had guy bring me some brake pads for a DAELIM scooter - he said they were off the rear and he had no clue as to what model it was that the had - he did not have the VIN and said he didn't license the scooter because he only used it to get around his farm using dirt roads and trails - the catalog ID'd them as for the front SFA257 and SFA197 for the rear - SFA197 was not close to what I had in my hand - the rear was also listed as SFA54 or SFA054HH - SFA54 does not exist and SFA054HH did not match the dimensions of the pad in my hand. By the print catalog, I compared SFA54 to SFA54/2 - none of my distributors had SFA257 on hand and the guy was in a hurry to get them - he agreed to a substitution of the SFA257/2 which were the same dimension, but thinner material and my nearest distributor had them in the warehouse.

On line I only get the recommended number and cannot easily see similar products by dimension.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a microfiche machine and fiche back to the 60's - it's amazing that I can still look up parts for a 1964 CA110 Honda and because I can look up the part numbers, I can usually find the parts I need to fix the old POS (just ordered an OEM NOS rubber tube to connect the carb to the intake manifold 16261-011-020 from Malaysia) - try looking that up online.

I prefer the print catalogs - I currently have the 1917 issue and issue 302. I recently had guy bring me some brake pads for a DAELIM scooter - he said they were off the rear and he had no clue as to what model it was that the had - he did not have the VIN and said he didn't license the scooter because he only used it to get around his farm using dirt roads and trails - the catalog ID'd them as for the front SFA257 and SFA197 for the rear - SFA197 was not close to what I had in my hand - the rear was also listed as SFA54 or SFA054HH - SFA54 does not exist and SFA054HH did not match the dimensions of the pad in my hand. By the print catalog, I compared SFA54 to SFA54/2 - none of my distributors had SFA257 on hand and the guy was in a hurry to get them - he agreed to a substitution of the SFA257/2 which were the same dimension, but thinner material and my nearest distributor had them in the warehouse.

On line I only get the recommended number and cannot easily see similar products by dimension.
The catalogues were great for dimensions, pad shapes etc. and We do have this facility online but there's nothing like opening a book and doing it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts