Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for the General to retire, and has been replaced with a beast of a machine. A new 2020 Kawasaki KRX 1000. Everything on it is bigger and stronger, and should be better suited for riding the Rocky Mountains and Moab slick rock. It wasn't an easy decision as the General was a great machine, and never gave us a lick of trouble. However, it had it's limitations (I know, they all do) and I was starting to get nervous about the turf-mode. Hoping the KRX lives up to it's hype. The thing is a monster. It's also a brand new model so hopefully the "new model blues" will be minimal. :)
Still have both 570 Touring's, so haven't given up on Polaris, just trying something new that looks to be the best available for my riding.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
The dealer called my buddy down and he watched it being unloaded and took the first KRX to hit our local dealers lot for a test ride. He said the same thing it looked beefy. He's having a hard time choosing between the Pro XP, Turbo S, the Can-Am, Wildcat XX, and the KRX. Good problems to have. Just looking at the two machines you have/had the KRX looks much more suited for the task of some of those knarly'er spots in Moab. Good luck with the machine!!

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Did the General get traded in?

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the General get traded in?
Yeah, the dealer made me a "good enough" offer for the General, and a more than fair price on the KRX so I traded it in. No room in the garage to keep it anyhow.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You got the better color, green looks like ass IMO and I LOVE Kawasaki green.

I've seen both colors at my local dealer and silver is the more handsome color.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got the better color, green looks like ass IMO and I LOVE Kawasaki green.

I've seen both colors at my local dealer and silver is the more handsome color.
I would agree even though I never saw a green one in person.

·
Registered
765 Posts
That's a good looking machine! What are you going to do......no on demand AWD? LOL! Thats a totally different machine than a General, its really more of a RZR competitor. Longer wheelbase and wider... What made you give it up and go for Kawi? I really like looks and build quality on the KRX.

Good luck and let us know how you like it!

ra

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
bobx2....

How did you come to this decision? You didn't start a thread asking any of the following:

How does this compare to a _?
How many have issues with this ___?
Should I get a __?
What Price should I pay?
What option should I get?
What color should I get?
How much air PSI in the tires?
Should I purchase extended warranty?
Do I need a __?
What dealer would you purchase from?
How much is my trade worth?

What did I miss?

I'm proud of you!! You purchased what YOU want!!!!!!

P.S. It looks AWESOME! I see that smile on your face all the way here Wisconsin!!!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
The time has come for the General to retire, and has been replaced with a beast of a machine. A new 2020 Kawasaki KRX 1000. Everything on it is bigger and stronger, and should be better suited for riding the Rocky Mountains and Moab slick rock. It wasn't an easy decision as the General was a great machine, and never gave us a lick of trouble. However, it had it's limitations (I know, they all do) and I was starting to get nervous about the turf-mode. Hoping the KRX lives up to it's hype. The thing is a monster. It's also a brand new model so hopefully the "new model blues" will be minimal. :)
Still have both 570 Touring's, so haven't given up on Polaris, just trying something new that looks to be the best available for my riding. View attachment 136221 View attachment 136222 View attachment 136223 View attachment 136224
bob, that top wooden shelf in the background seems to be sagging on the left side..... better get on that before thing start sliding off!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bob, that top wooden shelf in the background seems to be sagging on the left side..... better get on that before thing start sliding off!!!!!
LOL. It's actually dead level and rock solid, but thanks for your concern. 😄

·
Registered
479 Posts
I hate the green ones, they make the machine look bigger than it already is and it doesn't compliment the design language one bit. Some of the sales guys like it but most of them agree it looks better on silver.

I traded my Ranger for a new-old 2018 General Deluxe RideCommand because I wanted something sportier and still have a tilting bed because I haul dirt around the house.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a good looking machine! What are you going to do......no on demand AWD? LOL! Thats a totally different machine than a General, its really more of a RZR competitor. Longer wheelbase and wider... What made you give it up and go for Kawi? I really like looks and build quality on the KRX.

Good luck and let us know how you like it!

ra
bobx2....

How did you come to this decision? You didn't start a thread asking any of the following:

How does this compare to a _?
How many have issues with this ___?
Should I get a __?
What Price should I pay?
What option should I get?
What color should I get?
How much air PSI in the tires?
Should I purchase extended warranty?
Do I need a __?
What dealer would you purchase from?
How much is my trade worth?

What did I miss?

I'm proud of you!! You purchased what YOU want!!!!!!

P.S. It looks AWESOME! I see that smile on your face all the way here Wisconsin!!!
Thanks guys. I will definitely keep you updated on it, and how well it holds up and performs.
It has some unique features I really like and the longer, wider wheelbase along with the incredible suspension travel numbers should make it just awesome here in the Rocky Mountains as well as in Moab. Low geared with a butter smooth throttle. Can't go wrong with the stock 31" Maxxis Carnivores on 15" bead lock rims and 14-1/2" of ground clearance. The three driving modes of 2wd, 4wd and front diff. lock will be a new experience as well. Again, perfect for my riding. People like to talk about the toughness and reliability of Kawasaki. I guess I will find out if it is true. (after I put a winch on it :) )
I did tons of research, and I don't think there is a youtube video on it that I haven't watched. One of the best that really sold me on it is a guy doing the Moab Rim trail. Don't know if either of you have ridden it, but I did it on my 850 XP several years ago. It is one tough, bad ass trail, and the KRX walks right up like it's nothing.
I've never been opposed to trying something new if I think it is better than what I have. Up until now, Polaris has been that fit for me. The KRX looks to me like the best rock crawling UTV on the market today. I still would take a Polaris ATV over all others.

Here's the video that pushed me over the top.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is part of our ATV ride up Moab Rim.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Congratulations on the new machine! I have no intentions of buying a SxS but have been paying attention to some of the new models that have been coming out. The kawasaki should be a serious challenge to the naturally aspirated RZR 1000 XP. I really like the belt temperature gauge the Kawasaki has, and it looks like its built very strong. That's also a great wheel tire from the factory. I hope you enjoy it!

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Windshield showed up today. Makes it much nicer to drive in the cold. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a couple miles on it today out behind the house. So far, so good. Hope to put quite a few more on tomorrow. This whole break in process is painful. Need to get through it so I can really open it up and see what we can do.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I don't go crazy with engine break in. Just don't get too crazy and beat on it. Let the belt wear to the shieves and your ok. I'm not sure about the Kawi 1000 but most engines are roller cam now. So the only thing your 'breaking in' is the rings/cylinder and they actually like some heat to wear in. I've actually heard of some engines suffering from oil consumption because they were broke in easy. Just my opinion I'm sure others will disagree but I've never had a problem. I'd say the first oil change is much more important to get all the assembly/casting debris and wear in particles out of your engine.

PS, it looks darn good!

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Disconnected the front sway bar today and went out to do some stretching exorcises to check it out. The rear seems to flex okay with the rear sway bar connected, so I think it will stay.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts