Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought an '05 Phoenix for my daughter used... Got it cheap as it wasn't running. Now it runs like a champ, but there's a couple things I learned the hard way. This thread is for those Tips . . . .

1. Don't charge your battery with an automotive charger unless you disconnect the battery cables.
Why? Because when I did, it smoked the voltage regulator. GRRRR

2. Don't store the Phoenix standing on it's tail.
Why? Because the Starter motor is on the top-aft end of the engine. It is supposedly sealed but if stored long-term on it's tail the starter will eventually fill with oil. Polaris starters are $220. (really?) Aftermarket are $50-$80. (my VW starter is cheaper than that!)

3. When storing the Phoenix, drain the tank, and the carburetor.
Why? The idle-jet in the carb is microscopic in size. Any fuel evaporation, or old-fuel may gum it up. Pulling the carb is a pain in the butt.
(ok, buy good 91 octane fuel, use sta-bil and you probably don't have to drain the tank, but at least drain the carb float bowl to store....)

4. After a few years, the cluch dust will clog up the kick-starter mechanism. If you're going to be somewhere that you MIGHT have to kickstart your Phoenix, consider pulling the belt-cover and washing out all the dust from the clutch.
Why? My daughter's Phoenix, the kick-starter stuck down and would not return when we were several miles from camp in the desert.

Ok, let's hear them!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds like a lot of lessons learned. We have all had them, with all kinds of machines....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I just got my daughter a 2014 Phoenix 200. I learned that if it won't start, check the fuses. Somehow she blew one. I was so glad it had a kick starter or her day would have ended early.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I solved the carb issue by going to the shed and turn it on every two weeks or so. I've had a 2012 Phoenix for over a year and a half and no problems. Heck I even installed HIDs on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts