Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for staring a new thread on this but there was not much response in the other. Though a new title might help :couch:

I am ready to order so hopefully they will be at home when my new machine gets there.

Ok so I have been reading about tires till I cant take it anymore.

I think I am buying a set of wheels and tires since I can get them with free shipping and mounted/balanced (going to cost me about $100 locally) and a current sale. This helps offset the cost of the wheels so it seems dumb not to buy them too.

As I said these are going on a 2010 Polaris Sportsman 6x6. The wheels I am looking at come in both 7" (stock size if I understand correctly) or 8". The tires are going to be 25x8-12 (stock size) and the rears are going to be 25x10-12 (a size skinnier then stock but is what they make in a 25/12). Should I get 7" wheels all the way around or are 8" better in the back and why?

I am going with Spartacus tires GBC Motorsports Spartacus tires listed by size
For wheels I am going with Vision 159 Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Only my .02, but I would go with the 7 inch. It will give you a little cushion for rim protection, but then again I don't know s**t about 6x6's :slaphappy: I think I am going with the spartacus too, people here really seem to like them. Got a nice package deal from mudthrowers, just waiting for my tax refund.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Just a thought... I would think with the dual rear tires you would be limited to overall diameter....

CW

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the tires are the same 25" diameter.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,090 Posts
Nwcid.

If you are going with the Spartacus 25x8R-12 and 25x10R-12 you can run either the 7 or 8 inch wheel. It is really a personal preference on the look. If you were going with a 12 inch wheel you would want to go with an 8 inch wide wheel.

That will be a good look and an excellent tire. I would think that machine would be hard to stop in any terrain with six aggressive Spartacus tires.:fing02:

Make sure and post some photos when you get them on.

Remember mounting is free along with shipping when you buy both tires and wheels at the same time.

Let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I go them ordered will be here before I get my ATV. Pics to come hopefully the end of next week.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Well I go them ordered will be here before I get my ATV. Pics to come hopefully the end of next week.
LOL I love it!! I had PILES of things for my machine LONG before it arrived in the garage!!!

I like the looks and what I read about the Spartacus too. i went with Big Horns as i am not a mud rider.

CW

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After some other reading on here I have more questions. With this wheel and tire combo should I have to worry about doing anything with the clutch?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
A general rule of thumb is 2" taller or something super agressive like a mud tire. Its a good idea to look into a clutch kit... At 3" plus its near manditory.

Your staying at stock height. It will provide a bit higher RPM at launch and better belt grip. It's not required, but its up to you.

CW

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply. I know I did not do one on my last machine and I was running the same size tire as I just ordered but I had the Titan 589 M/T with no problems.

Sounds like something I might look into to but good to know I don't need one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nwcid.

Remember mounting is free along with shipping when you buy both tires and wheels at the same time.

Let us know if we can help.
Unless you live in Anchorage..then it's :shocked: and the charge for UPS Ground is over $100 for one tire or one wheel (cuz they charge 2nd day air rates). We get so tired of that up here. If there was someone that would ship to us reasonably by priority mail or just parcel post as long as it doesn't exceed 100" length and girth combined or 70 lbs., they would make a mint from us folks in Alaska. Meanwhile, it's................:disappointed:

·
Supporting Vendor
1,090 Posts
AKgrouch. You are correct. I should have said we have free shipping to the lower 48 United States and Canada (Canada buyers pay tax and duties). We also ship to AK and HI by USPS Parcel Post or USPS Priority which ever the customer wants.

Hope this clears it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
AKgrouch. You are correct. I should have said we have free shipping to the lower 48 United States and Canada (Canada buyers pay tax and duties). We also ship to AK and HI by USPS Parcel Post or USPS Priority which ever the customer wants.

Hope this clears it up.
Thanks for the quick reply. I hope you realize I was not trying to dis Discount Tire in any way....just voicing the frustration we have up here. Parcel post and Priority mail huh........I'll give you a call and see what my costs would be. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts