Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan on my 2008 sportsman X2 500 efi stopped working last weekend and it got hot on me last night while riding. Determined it was the temp sensor.... Local polaris dealers were all closed so I went to OReilly auto parts hoping they might have one. They found me a temp sensor off of an older ford truck with the same size, plugin, and thread pattern. It's a little longer (1/16th inch if that) but I checked for clearance in the engine and put it in. Seems to enjoy working properly. The cool part is that it was only $20 vs $60 for an om one off of rocky mountain atv. I know how the sensors work but I'm not great with a multi meter nor do I have a temp gun. Just wondered if someone on here could test one of these and find out at what temp they engage the fan in comparison to the om part. The one part number is 3089892. The part I have is a Borg Warner (BWD) part # wt3058. I'd just like to confirm that the engine will still run at the appropriate temperature and potentially save myself and others some $ in the future. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
ecu & temp sensor

I think the ecu controls the on/off of the fan based on the input from the sensor so it would be the same as before assuming the output in volts is similar. It is a very good buy, even on ebay the part is $57 or so.

What has your quad been behaving like? Meaning does it perform well and the fan cuts on and off after a while? :banana:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what happened. I recently got the quad and went riding the past 2 weekends and then went for a little evening ride last night at my buddies house and made it 15 min and it said "hot" so I shut it down and started testing

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't now on your year but on my 02 there's two sensor on it one on the engine and one on the radiator. The one on the radiator controls the fan and the one on the engine controls the hot light. The sensor is a thermo switch and the Ford part might have a different temperature on/off range from the original polaris part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my only lyrics concern. But the fan kicks on and off as I believe it should and I don't believe I have a sensor in the radiator. Either way, it doesn't get hot and seems to have fixed the problem. Any further input is fully appriciated. I just don't want to spend $60 if I don't have to

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
There shouldn't be much if any difference in radiator fan thermoswitches.

If the engine coolant sensor feeds the ECU it's probably a thermistor. As the coolant temp rises resistance drops exponentially. Resistance vs temp varies greatly by application. On some models the efi ecu controls the radiator fan using resistance on the engine thermistor.

Page down to post #9 in the following thread for thermistor specs for a sportsman 700. If your thermistor is the same part # then...
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...ectronic-fuel-injection-101-a.html#post192186

From orbit on my Android.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you go on an autoparts site and look for a fan switch and look at the specs there is a difference between temperature ranges were the fan will kick on and kick off most are different. I changed the temperature sensor on my Audi S4 I changed the switch out for a cooler temperature range for better cooling at the track.If you look in the service manual it should give you the specs for the on/off range for the stock sensor.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you go on an autoparts site and look for a fan switch and look at the specs there is a difference between temperature ranges were the fan will kick on and kick off most are different. I changed the temperature sensor on my Audi S4 I changed the switch out for a cooler temperature range for better cooling at the track.If you look in the service manual it should give you the specs for the on/off range for the stock sensor.
Shouldn't be a huge difference in the thermal switches. Two up to a handful of ranges at best. Then there's two terminal and case ground types. In the end not that many. Threads can be adapted with bushings. Makes it easier to find a workable equivalent.

The EFI thermistor OTOH could be a custom part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts