Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the hunt for a 4x4 quad this spring and am seriously considering a sportsman 800. I am thinking 07-13 probably used but if I can find a new 13 I might even do that. I am just wondering how are these newer sportsman 800's as far a reliability? and what would you consider to be "high mileage" for one? finally I have heard of tranny problems with the newer sportsmans how true is this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2010 800. I bought it new and it's been issue free. I've recently started customizing. I have no regrets and I'd do it all over again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
About 500

·
Registered
495 Posts
I picked up an 06 800 EFI mid Feb 2014, for $3900. I didn't print out the listing, so, I am trying to remember if the owner said it had 1600 or 2600 MI on the odo before he changed the instrument pod. I was dismayed when I looked it over, noticing the previous owner rode it pretty hard and didn't seem real good about maint. It started well, and sounded good with no adverse knocks or other strange noises, nor, did it smoke. I DO know he used it hard enough to wear out the outer tie rod ends, and, I have u joints on order to replace them. I am looking at repainting it as a Winter project. (The picture is how it looked the day I was bringing it home, before any clean up) Other than that, I have changed the spark plugs, engine oil and filter, front and rear diff fluids, and I am also going to change the trans fluid. It starts right up and idles like it should. My son took it out, grabbed a fist full of brakes, punched the throttle for a second to preload the driveline, then, let go of the brakes. The front end came off the ground and carried it. Surprised the crap out of both of us. After seeing how strong it is, I am convinced I will get many more hours/miles out of this machine. I would say, if it starts, runs and idles and does not knock or have broken axles or any other horrific conditions, look it over, ride it, haggle over price and enjoy!

In case you didn't see this, KBB has a site that is specific to ATVs. (Made me feel good about my purchace. I knew at the asking price, I was under what one in excellent condition would go for. I also figured, I would NOT spend $520 on getting it ready to ride. Not to mention, the wheels/tires, winch and cargo box.)

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/4-wheel-atv/polaris/

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had over 5,500 miles on my 08 rzr 800 when I sold it. Still ran like new and no oil usage. There is a guy on rzr forum that had over 20,000 miles on his 800 when he sold it and the fellow that bought it is still riding it. I have over 1400 miles on my 08 800 sportsman and still going strong. Maintain it, it will take care of you. I had an 02 700 with over 9,000 miles and sold to a buddy that rides with us. It is still running great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yup with proper maintenance, longevity is not an issue. A local municipality here has two Ranger 800s, one regular and one crew. They use and abuse them and they run like a clock. They won't quit.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I bought a 13 800 new last august and love it. It pulls hard and lifts the wheels up from a stand still like nothing. After i added a qsc clutch kit it really pulled i can ride wheelies easy. I got 240 miles on mine and 37 hrs, runs great. If you keep up on the maintenance it will run and run. I wld look new 13 if you can i bet you could get out the door for under 6300 now and you would be worry free on what the previous owner did. Thats why i went new

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I bought a 13 800 new last august and love it. It pulls hard and lifts the wheels up from a stand still like nothing. After i added a qsc clutch kit it really pulled i can ride wheelies easy. I got 240 miles on mine and 37 hrs, runs great. If you keep up on the maintenance it will run and run. I wld look new 13 if you can i bet you could get out the door for under 6300 now and you would be worry free on what the previous owner did. Thats why i went new
Are you considering any other mods like an exhaust etc, or does it have enough snot as is?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Are you considering any other mods like an exhaust etc, or does it have enough snot as is?
It has enough but im the kinda guy that always wants more power lol. I will do exhaust and power comander eventually.

·
Premium Member
10,611 Posts
the 800's are bullet proof and that goes for all the platforms they are available in.

·
Registered
978 Posts
X2 on that ⏫

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
1500 miles on my 2012 bought new. Ride pretty hard and not afraid of mud or water. I've changed outer a arm bushings and a wheel bearing. None of them were shot but going. I just did them cause I was going to have to eventually

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how bad are these things for breaking axles, I can control my thumb as long as they dont break like twigs

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The 800 has plenty of "snort".... "as is". No need for mods, but they add to it. Tires for better traction is the biggest and second I would say clutch, which is on my wish list!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yea i agree it has plenty of power as is. Its just fun and addictive to keep adding new stuff. My wife dont think its so fun though :fest06:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think the 800 has plenty of grunt to do whatever I ask of it. Never even thought about changing to a loud exhaust or programmer or anything. If I thought it didn't have enough "snot", I would sell it and buy a bigger one. Never needed to go 70 mph on the trail or wheelie down the highway or turn it into a boat for pond cruising. Although, it would probably do all these things, just never had a desire to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They are good reliable bikes but as far as axle go they are not the best. If you are going to run aggressive tires and like to feel the power you are going to have to replace the stock axles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It sucks the stock axles seem to made of glass on these new units. Did they ever fix the melting plastic problem the early 800s had?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts