Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm new here and I have an option to buy a '99 500 sportsman. 1700 miles with 332 hours on it. Maxxis tires (lots of life)/ new stater/serviced regularly with older female driver. One owner. Any advice? they are asking $2800.
I'm not the mechanical type but I probably can put another $1000 into it if need be. Is it worth the $ and headache?
this is to be for my wife. I have an '07 500 HO X2 and love it. we do medium to heavy trail rock/dirt riding with some occasional mud and stream/small river crossings.
heard there were issues with the cams and u joint drive-shafts.
thanks in advance
RK

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You can go to kelley blue book and look in the motorcycle section for values, 2800 is a bit much, keep in mind this is not an HO model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can go to kelley blue book and look in the motorcycle section for values, 2800 is a bit much, keep in mind this is not an HO model.
Thanks. I checked it out. $2,140 is the KBB retail. it looks really good. its 70 miles away so have not been on it...yet. If i'm still interested by the weekend might drive up to see it and take a spin.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That is too much money unless it is mechanically problem free, and I with 1700 miles I can assure you its probably far from it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've found kbb is a starting point, but depending on where you are it can be high or low. For the market area I'm in that's on the high end, but not out of line. Most Sportsman's of that era sell for 2000-3000 around here. If you're not too mechanically inclined bring someone with you who is or see if the owner can meet you at a repair shop you trust and have them inspect it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and advice. checking out an '07 450 out soon I hope. Keep ya posted

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 98 and a 99, less miles on mine, I just got them from Dad last year.

We do lots of trail/rock/mud with ours and i have never been to a place that a RZR can go and I cant.

That year are well built machines. If it has been taken care of, it will last you a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts